desert car kings - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2011, 07:33 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

desert car kings

anybody watch this show, i think it stinks!!! the Tbird build/restoration was bad enough, but only topped by the 63 G500 build last night. who would ever stick a 75 351M (they say bored out to 400, no way, but there is a 400M) with a rusty trans into that galaxy and call it restored.. that car needed an FE engine-352, 360, 390, 406 or 427 engine to be anything like origonal. no wonder their "restored" cars only bring about $6000, $6500 they have into them. the final cut of the car driving away tells all, the cobbed exhust under the car was the final touch to that POS...

PS:fire the painter, forget that, fire the dad. he has no clue of what a restored car is. i will watch this show only to see how they top this rediculous restoration.

PS2:with all those "classic muscle cars" in their vast yard, they had to go outside to buy a smog-motored 75 ranchero for the build.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2011, 10:53 AM

desert car kings galaxie

I do agree,one huge train wreck.On the Galaxie episode, can anyone please explain the exhaust pipes? They show the car having low slung pipes comining out in front of the rear tire,then shows it having chrome pipes coming out the rear under the back bumper,looks like no pipes at all,then the pipes coming out the side again.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:33 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gas65
I do agree,one huge train wreck.On the Galaxie episode, can anyone please explain the exhaust pipes? They show the car having low slung pipes comining out in front of the rear tire,then shows it having chrome pipes coming out the rear under the back bumper,looks like no pipes at all,then the pipes coming out the side again.
the exhauts pipes coming out in front of the rear tires was a NASCAR thing in the 60s. also us high school kids in the 60s thought KOOL. so we ran pipes out the side. now as a vette owner i just run with hooker side pipes.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:30 AM

galaxie pipes

They showed 2 differnt exhaust set ups, one was the side exit exhaust,the other exhaust ran out the back,under the rear bumper.If you recored it or see it again,when they show the completed car,it switches between to two systems.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:55 PM

They are not very knowledgeble

The show with the 64 barracuda, they couldnt figure out the push button shifter, so they spent 6 hours messin with it instead of calling someone, then they keep lifting the park lever up then back down into park. Finaly they lift it up and say they adjusted the buttons instead of saying we just wasted 6 hours trying to fix something that wasnt broke. Its hard to believe what they will put on tv. They also kept calling it a "cuda' when the 'cuda' name wasnt until 70. Also said back window is worth $2000, I have two I would have sold them for $200. rivv
Old 02-17-2011, 05:49 AM
Wannabe Builder and Fabricator

Quote:
The show with the 64 barracuda, they couldnt figure out the push button shifter, so they spent 6 hours messin with it instead of calling someone, then they keep lifting the park lever up then back down into park. Finaly they lift it up and say they adjusted the buttons instead of saying we just wasted 6 hours trying to fix something that wasnt broke. Its hard to believe what they will put on tv. They also kept calling it a "cuda' when the 'cuda' name wasnt until 70. Also said back window is worth $2000, I have two I would have sold them for $200. rivv
This is the first episode I've seen (Last night); didn't know there were more. I love EVERY show I can find that involves building cars and trucks (Sunday morning in my home is dedicated to The Church of Powerblock), but I gotta admit, I was scratching my head on this one myself. As stated above, you'll spend hours on the phone looking for overpriced rear glass but you can't spend five minutes doing a Google search and finding someone who knows what's going on with that particular trans?

Second of all: You're going to pull out some allegedly expensive rear glass and leave it sitting on that craptacularly undersized stand? Within feet of your workspace? And hope that no one bumps into it or knocks it over? Come on! Can't help thinking that was added for dramatic effect.

The other thing that bothers me is that on "Overhaulin'," when they would disassemble a car, they'd COMPLETELY disassemble it AND media blast it. And they would do it in seven days (I'm sure there was probably some television magic we don't know about, but still...). These guys had THREE WEEKS. Whether the surfaces were good or not, that doesn't justify to me why, AFTER paint and body, the interior headliner needed to be torn out and that mess had to be made. I'm glad they didn't get much more than $7k for it, because in a few years, I could see the new owner having to correct some mistakes.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:28 AM

Last photo:

the cuda build

i cought a glimps of the hood partly open and had been painted.. the fender wells under the hood were still rusty..
but it was a solid car and the buyer got a good price too...
but foose works 24/day for 7 day.. = 3 wks of normal time.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:43 AM

desert car kings barracuda

I admit,I wath this show mostly for the *** factor.I can say the barracuda looked better than the others,no stupid motor swaps or stand out flaws such as bad body gaps and bad finish.What I also don't under stand is why on any of these shows,when you try to buy a car from a yard that is going to crush it,they want mint price,saying that they can't take less than $2000 dollars ,or they would be losing money.Scrap price could'nt be more than $400.On one of Barry White's show,he bought a Chevelle that was going to be crushed for something like $3500.I'm like everyone else,I'd rather watch real problems in restoring a car,finding unique solutions,not made up nonsence drama
Old 02-17-2011, 07:55 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

DVAP is nothing more than a huge junk yard in the desert and they're over priced on almost every thing. It does make a nice afternoon walking through their yard (as long as you don't do it in the middle of the summer) but who would want to buy a "restored" car from a bunch of hacks at a junk yard. Sorry but the show is not just bad its much worse than that. If I worked there I'd be embarrassed to admit it. The GTO they did was a joke and the only real part of the whole show was the four rattle snakes they found in the Chevelle.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"The best car safety device is a rear-view mirror with a cop in it." - Dudley Moore
Old 02-19-2011, 09:45 PM

Desert Kings

These guys are going to be HUGE. The big money and sponsorship is going to start pouring in. Before long they'll be buying a building four times bigger than they really need due to the overwhelming demand of their classic car restorations. Mix a little reality with a bunch of gear heads and it's a recipe for success. It's going to be BIG. Those rattle snakes were really highly trained animal actors like Rin-tin-tin and Big Bird. They had me fooled too but I figured it out.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:07 AM
Race The Truck

Last journal entry: Son's Truck
Last photo:

I agree the show is bad! The editing shows all the bad shots of the resto if you can call it that! Reminds me of a used car dealer!

Craig
Old 02-23-2011, 09:21 PM

desert car kings

I think this show is a farce! Obviously they don't know diddly about the so called "restorations". I just watched the 2/23/11 show and laughed the whole time. Fords are not their specialty for sure and I don't think they know much more about anything else either. The 55 F-100 resto. was a joke. The emblems on the side of the hood are 56 only and the engine wasn't original either. (or at least the valve covers weren't) Their slap happy-ness is bound to catch the eyes of other restorers also. What a way to make money!
One thing about these guys . . . they are consistent . . . about being wrong!

Last edited by a57_tbird; 02-23-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:42 AM

Last photo:

'55 F100

all in all.... for $6100 bucks i think he got a good deal... for me i take it down to the frame and clean it up for sure. but the body was worth the money he spent...
Old 02-24-2011, 08:46 AM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
DVAP is nothing more than a huge junk yard in the desert and they're over priced on almost every thing. It does make a nice afternoon walking through their yard (as long as you don't do it in the middle of the summer) but who would want to buy a "restored" car from a bunch of hacks at a junk yard. Sorry but the show is not just bad its much worse than that. If I worked there I'd be embarrassed to admit it. The GTO they did was a joke and the only real part of the whole show was the four rattle snakes they found in the Chevelle.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"The best car safety device is a rear-view mirror with a cop in it." - Dudley Moore
This is the truth. I've walked this yard a few times because it's right between my work and home. Lots of stuff that has the potential to be really cool, but the prices they want are quite ridiculous. It's sad that those cars just sit in the sun day in and day out.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:42 AM

Last journal entry: Paint
Last photo:

DVAP bought a bunch of these cars today. They bought the unfinished Cadilac convertable for 17.5K
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	012.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	328.1 KB
ID:	53285   Click image for larger version

Name:	013.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	328.9 KB
ID:	53286   Click image for larger version

Name:	019.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	329.3 KB
ID:	53287  

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.