Hot Rod Forum banner

design of project

579 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  OldSchoolChevy 
#1 ·
I am gettin all of my $$$ together and gettin ready to start my first "by-myself" project for the upcoming fall, a 32-34 chevy truck ($450-$1200). I just wanted to see what everyone thought of my little project and see if my estimated prices on parts were about right. BTW most of the parts will be bought at swap meets, this is also just the major stuff does not include small things that you need to make the car run. I posted this for criticism so have at it.

($200-$300) Appearance: chop top 3.5-3.75 inches
lower to 2.75-3.5 inches from ground
red scallops and bare metal with clear sealer
no chrome or billet
remove and resell fenders, and running boards

($300-$400) Interior:Bench seat with vinyl
mooneyes original foot petals
original style gauges

($???)Wheels/Tires:Torq Thrust wheels/solid black tires
-Back 16x10
-Front 15x7

($350-$600)Transmission: muncie 4spd or 200r4

($350-$850)Rearend: 10 bolt with 3.73

($???)Frame: box frame and brace rearend

($500-$1000)Engine: 250 inline 6 (rebuild if necessary)
offenhauser four barrel carb intake
holley 390 cfm carb
custom fabbed header with internal muffler
clifford torque monster cam and kit
round gastank in the bed (build maybe or mooneyes)
($???)Brakes: drum all the way around

See less See more
#2 ·
OSC,

Others may have many additional comments, but let met start with "the foundation", which I don't see in your plan/budget. The Foundation would be your chassis - the frame, suspension, brakes, axles and steering. If you are starting with a stock 32-34 truck, you will have to make provision for every one of these items because the originals simply aren't going to stand up to hot rodding. The major items I see missing are the suspension (springs and shocks), a medium duty rear end (to take the abuse of a modern 6) but most importantly, a solid braking system...which the 32-34 does not have.

My recommendation would be to envision each and every component of your chassis, from front to back. The easiest way to do this is to get some pictures from old hot rod magazines showing cars with the bodies removed. Go over these pictures with a magnifying glass, thinking about each and every component. Sketch out for yourself in great detail exactly what foundation/chassis parts you can expect to safely use off the original car and then exactly what you are going to need either from the bone yard or from after market sources. If you don't know if an original part can be used safely, assume it CAN'T. Then, with that itemized list, you can begin to do your comparison shopping which will give you a much more accurate picture of what your budget is going to look like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.