Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Designing my own scratch built Rat Rod, need guidance on where to start
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 07:53 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

JerryMopar,

Great to see you younger guys spending the time to come up with plans/ideas for the next generation of hot rods. Fourteen is a GREAT age to get started in the hobby. Also I notice you are located in Wisconsin which just happens to be home to the "Rat on a Shoestring" linked by Tbirdscoot. Hopefully I'll have the car over to some shows in Appleton, Oshkosh, and Fond du Lac this next summer so you can get a look at it close up. Otherwise, if you want to make the trip up here to Lac du Flambeau (near Minocqua) let me know in advance and I'll give you the personal tour of the shop (and the Rat.) The whole purpose of the Rat project was to help younger folks learn how to do their own rods on a modest budget. So you are welcome to come and have a look at it.

I would like to make one suggestion regarding your plan, if I might. Many (including myself) have attempted to build little roadsters and pickups using existing, more modern frames such as the S-10 mini pickup type or even the imports - such as Honda. This is not as easy (or cheap) as it might sound. More importantly, if you are considering a fenderless, exposed front axle area, I think you will not be happy with the look of the S-10 type front end once it is finished. These frames have some very bulky and massive front end components. And they are usually in the exact wrong place for whatever it is you might want to do. Yes, building your own frame might be a bit more expensive, but I think you'll find you can get a much cleaner and more "classic" hot rod look if you consider going that route. Hopefully Mike (Nightfire) will chime in on this idea since he, like you, spent a considerable amount of time looking into the idea not long ago and then abandoned it for the reasons I have pointed out.

No matter what direction you go, good luck with your project ideas.

Dewey