Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Designing my own scratch built Rat Rod, need guidance on where to start
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 03:07 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyster
Sorry but the picture of the mazda frame is really a fabricators worse nitemare.
Coyster. Not sure if you are referring to how challenging a frame like that is to begin with or if you were simply commenting on my "impeccable craftsmanship" (LOL)...but in either case I think "nightmare" might be an appropriate description. My point in posting the pics (as well as my amateur modifications) was so others can visualize the difficulties encountered in attempting to make a mini pickup frame suitable as an exposed street rod frame. It's not as easy as one might think. If anyone out there has done it, please post pics because we could all learn a great deal from a successful, low-budget, adaptation.

And I have to agree with you totally that the chassis design should be based upon the body dimension. Which, for me at least, is another point against the use of a pre-existing frame. The mini truck chassis is designed for a mini truck body. Not a '32 roadster body. Once you start cutting, c-ing, z-ing, narrowing, and shortening any pre-existing truck frame, I believe your cost savings (over a scratch built frame) go out the window. And no matter how many modifications you do to that frame, you'll never get the nice clean lines of a traditional hot rod exposed frame.

The little track roadster OMT posted is a perfect example. Great looking body but I just don't think it would be worthwhile to try to build it on a mini-truck chassis. I think for a body like this you would be money and time ahead to scratch build.

Again, if you are looking at a full bodied, full fendered car, then the mini truck frame might make sense. But these frames are a huge challenge for exposed frame, fenderless cars.

Dewey