Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Designing my own scratch built Rat Rod, need guidance on where to start
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2005, 07:52 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by huffhuff
Dean Moon back in the 80s had a short manual on taking a datsun or similar pickup and making into a hot rod. i have a copy somewhere stashed away. remove the body and cut off the horns that the body attaches to and you have a narrow model A style frame. the engine needs to be moved rearward for the right look but the whole concept is quite easy.
The concept is indeed easy...it's the implementation that's the bear. Unfortunately, you still have a rather massive front suspension to deal with. The Datsun has the same a-arm set up as the Mazda shown in the pics above. If you can dig up the manual and can post any of the pictures they show, it would be interesting to see what Moon came up with. When I see one done nicely and inexpensively...I'll believe. But speaking from experience, making one of these frames look right under an open wheel car is no easy task. Possible, yes. Easy, no. Especially on a budget.