Designing my own scratch built Rat Rod, need guidance on where to start - Page 8 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2006, 09:24 AM
56 chevy pickup

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

my 56 chevy pickup came stock with a straight axle with leaf springs set up like the rear....

what you said would work, but with what i was saying you get modern brakes and easy to find replacement parts (any parts store stocks them).......whats the chance of walking into AutoZone or Advance and getting a set of brake pads, rotors, or bearings for a 40's anything?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2006, 12:22 PM
User

Last photo:

Actually, I was kind of getting at having a different rear-end, with maybe disk-brakes. Then try to get some kind of brakes up front, or just not have any. I guess you'd call it suicide.

But if you could actually get the front brakes alive, or convert them to something else, It wouldn't be too bad. I'm pretty sure they'd make kits to use something else for brakes also.

-GF
Old 06-02-2006, 12:45 PM
56 chevy pickup

Last photo:

well guys, Flaming River beat us to the twin i-beam suspension in a rod....

i was flipping though the August 06 issue of Rod and Custom while ago and they have it in there on page 80....

they call it the "dominator" and it is basically the ranger style suspension, but with drop beams and coilovers.....

i am looking for a price, but dont see it, if i find one i will post it
Old 06-02-2006, 12:48 PM
56 chevy pickup

Last photo:

damn its "only" $3550

i think i will stick with the explorer parts....can get drop beams for less than $400...
Old 06-03-2006, 04:33 PM

Last journal entry: Buick
Last photo:

How much you want to bet those are stock Ford Ranger I beams and they got the idea from here or Cboy's journal. Check it out.

http://www.flamingriver.com/index.cf...rod/prd349.htm
Old 06-03-2006, 09:26 PM

??

I have a question for every one debating about the front ends and susp., and front brakes. I must be missing something, but why cant i just take my frame buy a cheap front drop axle for like $100 bux and buy the a new radius rod front suspension for $179 off ebay and then take the front disk brakes off any cheap car that has front disk brakes. One more question is there any way to tune the radius rod suspension for a bbc396? Thank you.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:35 PM

Last journal entry: Buick
Last photo:

What you are talking about has been done. I saw a guy over on Camaros.net do it. It's a matter of making the brake rotors fit on the front spindle somehow. If you can find a rotor which will mount to the spindle, then all you need to do is find a way to mount the brake calipers and you're set. The guy at Camaros.net made his own mounts.

Last edited by RickB1B; 06-03-2006 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:57 PM

A note on titles that was already brought up.

You're likely going to have to register it (atleast this is how it works in California) as a kit car. That means for Californian's it means CHP structural test on the frame, possible structural test on the body, 2007 (or whatever the most current ones are) smog testing (no old car expemptions, sadly), and following whatever other minimum requirements for a car are (fenders, head lights, signals, seat belts, etc).

Actually, if you do it right it's really not all that hard to title something as a kit car and then customize it. That would likely mean frame built from a kit car plan (CCR, Wescot Auto, etc) and perhaps purchasing a body.

I'm actually doing the same thing, but a street rod running E85, so I'm going through the same titling and insurance hoops. The only way I found to do it fully home built is to kit car most of it. The 2007 emmisions stuff is a pain in the butt.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:04 PM

Re: Designing my own scratch built Rat Rod, need guidance on where to start

Hey Jerry,
I think I may be of some help to you as I have built a similar rod myself which is now basically complete and driveable. The car I built is a Model "A" woody sedan delivery. When I decided to build a rod off of an exsisting frame about three years ago I looked at many options, mostly mini-truck frames. I decided to use an '85 Toyota pickup frame for a number of reasons. First they have a wheelbase that is only slightly longer than a model "A". Second the front suspention isn't big and ugly like alot of other mini trucks. Third, it utilizes a torsion bar front suspension allowing you to ajust the ride height. Fourth, when you're done it looks similar to a deuce frame. And fifth, they use a 4 1/2", 5 lug, wheel bolt pattern so you can use numerous Ford or Dodge wheels. I found some old steel wheels in the junkyard and painted them red.
You will need to make some modifications, mostly for asthetics. The front end of the frame ahead of the suspension as well as the steering box is big and ugly. I cut the frame rails off completely, from about 4" ahead of the suspension forward. When you do this you need to make 2 modifications. One, adapt a Fox body steering rack ( Mustang/T-Bird/LTD II, late "70's to early "90's. ) This is actually simpler than you might think, it will bolt directly to the Toyota crossmember using a couple of 2" spacers. Then the tie-rods will need to be cut and retreaded because they are too long. Number two, you will have to move the strut rods from the front to the rear of the lower control arms. This requires swapping the strut rods side for side then fabricating a bracket to either weld or bolt them to the frame.
You will need to cut off the box and cab mounts and shorten the rear of the frame rails. The only other thing I ran into was the crossmember where the torsion bar adjusters mount. This will require some carefull engine/trans fitting and possibly shortening of the adjuster bolts. Other than that it's a cheap frame that you can find in any wrecking yard and the modifications required no welding. Hope this helps, modelawoody.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:38 PM
User

Last photo:

Here is my five minute MS-paint Roadster, that I built using a 53' Chevy that I stole from someone's project journal. I noticed that it didn't look that bad with the front sheet metal took off, and you could use the stock firewall, then take sheetmetal and build the rest of your body, or wood or roof-tin or whatever you want to use. I did cut some of the sides of the firewall off, where there is this weird thing that hangs out for the doors, and some of the cowl to go with it, but other than that it dosn't look that bad for independant suspension.

And there were so many of these cars, I can walk to about any place where there is a bunch of old cars piled up, and there is a few of these body styles. But chances are, if you find a 49-54 Chevy, thats not completly rusted away, its going to be too nice to cut up. And if you find one with a pile of other old cars, you could probably find a straight axle in there too.

But just an idea...

-GF
Old 06-04-2006, 05:12 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: The Monster Lives
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

that data on the toyota frame is just what i needed... thanks.. that is one ugly steering box, but the actual suspension is pretty clean
Old 06-10-2006, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
JerryMopar,

Great to see you younger guys spending the time to come up with plans/ideas for the next generation of hot rods. Fourteen is a GREAT age to get started in the hobby. Also I notice you are located in Wisconsin which just happens to be home to the "Rat on a Shoestring" linked by Tbirdscoot. Hopefully I'll have the car over to some shows in Appleton, Oshkosh, and Fond du Lac this next summer so you can get a look at it close up. Otherwise, if you want to make the trip up here to Lac du Flambeau (near Minocqua) let me know in advance and I'll give you the personal tour of the shop (and the Rat.) The whole purpose of the Rat project was to help younger folks learn how to do their own rods on a modest budget. So you are welcome to come and have a look at it.

I would like to make one suggestion regarding your plan, if I might. Many (including myself) have attempted to build little roadsters and pickups using existing, more modern frames such as the S-10 mini pickup type or even the imports - such as Honda. This is not as easy (or cheap) as it might sound. More importantly, if you are considering a fenderless, exposed front axle area, I think you will not be happy with the look of the S-10 type front end once it is finished. These frames have some very bulky and massive front end components. And they are usually in the exact wrong place for whatever it is you might want to do. Yes, building your own frame might be a bit more expensive, but I think you'll find you can get a much cleaner and more "classic" hot rod look if you consider going that route. Hopefully Mike (Nightfire) will chime in on this idea since he, like you, spent a considerable amount of time looking into the idea not long ago and then abandoned it for the reasons I have pointed out.

No matter what direction you go, good luck with your project ideas.

Dewey
I can appreciate your work,because i built my 32 chevy roaster from scratch ,frame and body,all glass,I want to do one out of metal ,because i worked metal all my life!

Last edited by rockdaddy; 06-10-2006 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:31 PM
56 chevy pickup

Last photo:

jerrymopar, where are you? you haven't posted in here in a long time
Old 06-13-2006, 10:59 PM
that one hot rodding kid

Last photo:

just a thought, but if you wanted to go pickup you can find old ford pickup cabs really cheep and all the way up to the early 50's cabs look good with a 32 grill and the pickup bed is just some sheet and angle iron welded up.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:12 AM
User

Last photo:

I really would look into the "BIG" trucks more than I would pick-ups though. Dualies/Dumptrucks/Flatbeds.

They are not nearly as expensive, or in demand as Pick-ups are. And somepeople will pretty much tell you to take them if you want them. If your going to be doing alot of frame work anyway, what does it matter? I really wouldn't want to keep the 16-foot wheel base and dual wheels, but they have pretty decent cabs compare to whatever pick-ups you can find for the same price.

Other than some big turn signals, running-lights on the roof, and maybe a horn or too, they are not too different from pick-ups. At least up until the Mid/Late 60's. But its just a little bit more bondo to fill some holes...

I have managed to get a 38' Chevy Dualie, and a 47' International KB-6 for nothing. I saved the Chevy from the crusher (You can have it if you want it.) and the KB-6 was getting in a farmer's way...

-GF

Tags
build plans, build thread

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.