Designing my own scratch built Rat Rod, need guidance on where to start - Page 9 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2006, 07:26 AM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: The Monster Lives
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

how far are you from Winston Salem NC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2006, 11:55 AM
User

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

About 312 Miles...Google-Maps.

I'm not depelting the supply of Old Flatbeds or anything like that, I'm just trying to save some from the crusher. The KB-6 will run If we could ever get around to unlocking the engine. It was used to haul tobbacco until about 15 years ago. The 38' Was sitting with about 10 other old trucks that I couldn't get to in time to save (A 53' Dodge Panel wagon, the roof had rusted through, but would have made a nice touring car, and alot of others) But the guy that chopped them up for scrap metal left that one for me. So I can't complain.

I'd trade on them, and If it was the right deal I'd trade down in your area.

If it says anything, the 38-Chevy was equipped with a wench and used to build the Sky-Lift(Like a ski lift, but only used during the summer, and it goes straight up some pretty big cliffs, a nice ride) at Natural bridge, Kentucky. A pretty interesting place.

-GF
Old 06-14-2006, 12:40 PM

Last photo:

well, send me a picture to wishnevs@bellsouth.net, if you want to mess with it.. the tow charges would be the big part of the deal... thanks..
Old 06-14-2006, 03:29 PM
User

Last photo:

I'd trade with you if you'd treat the 38' right. Its pretty rough. I have some pictures I will send one day. I use bellsouth too...

-GF
Old 06-14-2006, 04:18 PM

Last photo:

i dont have much to trade, unless you play guitar or bass.. otherwise money..
Old 06-14-2006, 08:51 PM
User

Last photo:

Thats kind of funny, I actually do "play" with a guitar. I've been doing it for almost a year. One of my friends is real serious about it...and the other one just tunes his down so the strings are ready to fall off, turns off the treble, and plays death metal.

But, just a thought...if i ever ebay something up in north carolina, maybe we could trade then. But I dunno if i could haul something that far.

-GF
Old 06-14-2006, 10:03 PM

Last photo:

my sites are wishbass.com and wishnevsky.com the first for electric basses, the rest for everything else..
Old 06-16-2006, 12:33 PM
User

Last photo:

Kind of back on topic, I saw this picture of a openwheeled vehicle, and I wanted to fix it. It took about 5 minutes in MS-Paint. I included two versions of the vehicle, the bottom one, which is how the frame was before I "fixed" it, and the top one, which is after I had cut it up.

It looks like they used a Silverado or an S-10 frame to build this thing, and didn't want to do any cutting to the front of it. Notice the big gap inbetween the engine and the radiator? That was probably the worst part on the whole truck. I used the cut tool and trimmed it down to the point where it didn't look as bad, and you could still use a motor-fan (Maybe, theres always electric fans) Other than that, I didn't cut anymore of the frame off, or move anything around. But to avoid getting sued, I did alter this thing alot, and Spliced in a section of a 53' Plymouth Savoy instead of the body it had before. Its just and example/sketch, so thats why it looks pretty shoddy. And I saved it in a bad format so it wouldn't take 5 minutes to upload.

That seems to be the problem with truck frames though, the engine is pretty much over the front wheels...I think I'd rather try and build my own frame.

-GF
Old 06-16-2006, 01:31 PM

Last photo:

Right. On the one i'm building, the motor will be set back 30 inches... And there will be a big hood.. but no fenders..
Old 06-16-2006, 01:33 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

S-10 chassis

I have an S-10 chassis and did some checking and it is possible to move the engine back so the radiator is centered over the front axle..looks much better that way..of course the driveshaft will need to be cut..That is if all one is using is the chassis..

Sam
Old 06-16-2006, 03:17 PM

Last photo:

Yes... wooo i love track roadsters and speedsters... but this is going to be a boat-tail... The deal on the speedsters is that i figured out that a modern overhead cam Fuel Injection cheap jack Japanese moter would be a good stand-in for a full race overhead valve Model T motor... And a lot cheaper... But this one is going to get a chevy 230 six and a slush pump... some pix on my journal.. Hope it works..
Old 06-17-2006, 12:18 PM
User

Last photo:

One of my friends gave me a 51' Chevy truck frame that he had blown the engine in about 20 years ago, and pushed it into a creek and left it there, it had a cab and bed, but he said nothing was left except the frame. If i dig it out, its mine.

About 2 miles away there is a 47' Chevy pick up that is buried in river sand, the top of the cab is exposed, and i managed to dig to the hood with a shovel. Its buried at about the belt-line, so i'm hoping our back-hoe could rip it out of the ground pretty easy. River sand isn't too tough to dig through. If the cab makes it out alive, then it will probably make a nice roadster. It still has the engine too, but its probably beyond repair.

I'm still working on trying to get the 52' Chevy thats been wrecked to make a decent T-Bucket out of. And the cab could maybe make a nice roadster on a 4.0/Fuel Injection ranger chassis. Drive anywhere...it'd be nice.

And just as an extra, there is an econoline van from the 60's thats mangled up next to the truck. So I might be able to take its staight axle too. If it works out well, i should have enough to build a T-Bucket, and open-wheeled pick-up, a Gasser out of my 67' Ford Fairlane (Its only hope...), and one extra.

If I can get things together...

-GF
Old 06-20-2006, 11:16 AM

Toyota

Just browsing through a couple of web pages, it seems that Toyota pickups before 1984 or so had a solid front axle in them with leaf springs. Possibly could use a frame from one of them?
Old 06-20-2006, 12:50 PM

Last photo:

my '80 has IFS and torsion bars..
Old 06-23-2006, 11:58 PM
User

Last photo:

There was a 39' Chevy in our Muscle Car Trader, it was a nice looking truck, as far as the cab goes, but someone really didn't do their home work. They had built a motorcycle fendered truck, without hoodsides, and used a S-10 frame. It had little wheels and not so big side-walls. And the wheels were set way back, and the engine and grill were set way forward. It wasn't all too pretty because of that. There used to be a 38' Chevy truck in there that someone had done pretty good on, fenderless, hoodless, straight axle, right amount of set back. 355, really good looking truck. Had Mustang-II rack also. Ford 2-3 thousand more than the not so pretty 39'.

I think S-10's should be saved for "fat" fendered trucks of the late 40's and 50's. If your doing a truck. I don't even know if they would look right under a 30's or early 40's truck...maybe. But not fenderless...or hoodless.

-GF

Tags
build plans, build thread

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.