Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Designing New Garage
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2008, 11:24 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74chevy454
My friend built a 20x24 garage for like 60,000 that is with not doing a thing no labor. Roger what do u think u have into it so far......I was just curious do to the fact that I will break ground this winter or spring. U really have done a good design and work and its coming out great cant wait till the end.
Thanks for the compliments!

Wow. 60K for a turnkey 20X24 garage sounds absolutely outrageous to me. That's 480 sqft compared to my 1,476 sqft (including drive thru). And, mine has a full bath and utility sink.

I don't see how my figure could ever be an apples vs. apples comparison for you. Things will be much cheaper in San Angelo vs. Sacramento. And, the way I paid for this job would be way beyond what would be a normal deal for someone. However, let me explain some stuff and that may help.
I did all my own site preparation and plans. And I also saved a bunch doing all the electrical and some plumbing myself. I will also finish the plumbing, taping/floating and paint myself.
I can tell you that my construction crew has been a guy in charge (whom I am friends with) and two helpers. I pay them all hourly. Occasionally I get charged extra by them for gasoline and miscellaneous expenses. I pay for all materials directly to the vendors. The things subbed out were the concrete work, roof, a little bit of plumbing and garage door installation. Altogether, the concrete work will be about $13,500. The plumber was $2,800 including the $600 payment to the city for the sewer hook-up.
I have used expensive stuff.
Windows were $3,500. The 2 Heat/Cool A/C units were $1,400 together. Roof was $4,800.
Garage doors and installation will be about $3,000.

I still have to estimate but when all the guys are out of here in 2 weeks, It should be at a little less than $70K for everything to that point.
Then comes in/out paint, lights, big screen TV, epoxy floor, cabinets, gas pump and all the other nic-nacs.

After I first read your question, I discussed it with my contractor/friend. He was guessing turn key on my shop would be $120K. I would think it would have to be a lot higher in place like Sacramento.

I hope that helps.

So, do you have a thread started for yours yet? Let's see your plans!

Last edited by roger1; 07-27-2008 at 11:51 AM.