Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Designing New Garage
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2008, 09:07 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale
Your shop looks excellent, Mine is a tin building and it gets very cold in the winter... Your electrical panel is very neat, better than a lot of pro jobs I have seen...BUT the white wires going to the circuit breakers. If they are current carring conductors ( a feed to a 220 outlet for compressor- welder. etc) the electrical code requires they be painted/ taped some other color and the other end of the conductor at the device box also needs to be marked...Green is reserved for the ground. bare copper is ground... white is reserved for only the Neutral wire . yellow should not be used for the current conducting wire since some warehouse type lights make white and yellow hard to see which is which. the problem is that in the future someone else could get shocked touching a white wire.thinking it is a neutral wire...
Here is a better shot of the breaker box:

Thanks for the compliment and comment.

There is only one white wire that is connected to a breaker.
It is the 30 Amp 230V water heater. I know what you mean that it should be color taped because it is not a neutral. It's funny, I've seen so many installations of water heaters where electricians didn't color tape the white either. The city inspector looked at it with me there and didn't say a word about it.
I have wondered why 10-2 wire isn't manufactured with black/red/ground instead of black/white/ground? I would think most 10-2 wire that is sold is used for 230V water heaters.