Hot Rod Forum banner

Designing New Garage

121K views 247 replies 52 participants last post by  macrobert68 
#1 · (Edited)
I planning on breaking ground on my new Garage/Shop in June 08.

I thought I would start a thread here and update it as the project progresses.

Right now I am in the design phase so comments and suggestions will be appreciated.

First, I am posting a picture of a gas station that is the inspiration of my design:

I am planning on a 24' X 48' building with a 19' X 14' drive through. It will have a 10ft. ceiling throughout and the garage doors will be 8' X 8' (Edited 1/6/08 to 9ft wide by 8 ft high)
Here is rough sketch of my plan:

Here is my floor plan so far:

The room on the east will be for my "Clean/Dirty" work area. Sanding, painting, etc. I will have no tools or furniture in that room so it can be cleaned out easily.
The 3 rooms in the back from left to right will be the bathroom, compressor & dust collector room and the beadblaster & parts washer room. The rest of the area will be the main work area.

See less See more
#178 ·
New stuff

I went to a petrolinia dealer in Odessa, Tx yesterday and purchased a nicely restored and operational Eco air meter and a 1949 self-serve Coke machine:

I got the gas price sign thrown in with the deal when I bought the gas pump last week. Gas was 24.9 cents when I got my driver's license so that's what my price will be.

The Coke machine is in good overall shape and in working condition. It looks like it was re-painted a while ago though and has some defects. I will do a real nice restore job on it down the road. The gas pump restore will come first on my list. I hope to start on that soon. I think I will paint the side panels on the pump white and the front panels red to match the scheme of the air meter.

I also pulled my toy, that has been waiting patiently for almost a year, into the shop for the first time:

#179 ·
Shame on you Roger!!! I see some trash on the floor behind the left rear wheel!!! The Vette sure looks good in it's new house. I finished the last coat this afternoon so will start moving in Tuesday. We will put the cove molding on Monday AM which is the last thing I need to do before my son returns from sea in May. We still have to install stair railing and railing along the balcony office.

Trees.

#182 ·
As always......just amazing. Now all you need to finish it off is a "lubester" and a tire display. And you need to get rid of the modern seating out front in favor of a couple of old rockers. Oh BTW...whenever you decide to clean up the front of the pace and put the work supplies away, I'll be able to have my new wallpaper for the 'puter. LOL!!! Great looking place Roger :thumbup: It is a place to really be proud of.

#184 ·
Brimstone said:
So have you had anybody stop by to see if you could fill their tank yet? :D

You've just done an outrageously good job with that, I must say. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thanks and no, no one has pulled up yet. I don't think I have to worry about it since the station faces into my back yard and the back of the station is towards the side street to my house.
(I have a corner lot with 4 acres.)
My fence gate stays shut most of the time too. But, they might open it up an come in if they happen to see my 24 9/10 price on gas! :)

Kevin, don't worry. I will clean things up and get rid of the chairs when I go for final pictures. I've still got to finish the gas pump and get some more dress-up items. My list is a Texaco trash can, oil rack, some red stars, and some lettering over the bays like "Lubrication" and or "Alignment".
I am putting up the porcelain light over the Texaco sign today.
It would be an honor to have my workshop as your wallpaper.

Roger

#235 ·
It would be an honor to have my workshop as your wallpaper.

Roger
Love your garage man. I had a couple pictures of it on my I Pad before tracking them back to this forum and your awesome documentation with even more pictures. Kudos to the build, and thanks for sharing your journey. BTW, getting back to your quote, your garage is the wallpaper on my Smart Phone, I-Pad, and work computer. I hope to soon have pics of my own build to post. Though there will be a few modifications, rest assured, your garage is the inspiration. Thanks for that.

#185 ·
speede5 said:
I hope you dont mind if I copy virtually every bit of this shop when I build mine. Wow. I even have the coke machine, gas pumps and a sign (Esso). wish I had the corvette.

Cheers

I wouldn't mind at all! It's cool that it could be that inspiring with what I've done here.
Let me know when you've started your thread documenting your build.

#186 · (Edited)
New lights

I bought these green and white porcelain antique lights in perfect condition on Ebay:

Just installed them today.
I bent some 1/2" conduit with a pipe bender, then threaded, bead blasted, coated with SPI epoxy primer and finished them off with PPG black acrylic urethane. I painted the just the top cap of the fixture black too as it was painted cast iron.
I installed one on the left side wall also but I don't have power to that one yet. I couldn't get the color balance right for this shot because the new light is incandescent and the lights under the canopy are recessed CFLs.

#187 ·
I couldn't get the color balance right for this shot because the new light is incandescent and the lights under the canopy are recessed CFLs.
You might try swapping out the normal light switches for some dimmer switches. I usually keep all of my outside lights on dim unless I am doing some night work outside. It leaves it light enough to see everything and walk around but not overly bright to where everyone can see everything around. Mood lighting. LOL! :D

#188 ·
New Light.

I think the Aura of the incandescent bulb is very nostalgic. Perhaps you could "dim" the under canopy lights when you don't need full power, and your garage will look like you are back in the past.
I am in the process of adding a canopy to my workshop, in the style of the old service stations , and was planning on getting a similar light.
You should be very proud of your project. It takes me back to a much simpler time.

#189 ·
Stars

I was thinking of buying three 16" metal stars to put on my shop from
American Stars.
I went ahead and made some cardboard cutouts and spray painted them red and hung them with duct tape to see how I would like them before I bought the real ones.
I would paint the metal ones with the same Texaco Red that I am going to do the gas pump with.
What do y'all think? I like the look.
I also want to get black letters to say "MARFAK LUBRICATION" over the left bay and "WASHING" over the right bay. This is what was on the Texaco stations of the 50's era.
I also put the globe on the pump for a trial fit. This pic also shows my new lights well:.

The following pics are to explain better the layout of my driveway and buildings. Things look a little dreary as it was cloudy today and the trees and grass haven't come out yet. We are in a pretty good drought right now too.

Front of my house looking north:

Back of house standing near the northeast corner of the workshop.

Back of workshop and house taken from across the sidestreet. Shows my side gate and driveway to shop and house garage.

#191 ·
Stars

I agree with the security thing. You can't tell from the street that it is what it is. It looks like any other building from anywhere except the front side. I think that plays in your favor. My shop is hidden behind the house, and cannot be seen from the road, or from any neighbor's yard due to my 9 foot tall cedar hedges. Those whom I trust have seen it and admire it, but I have had past issues in other houses where total strangers would stop and come on to my property to see what I was doing. I like the privacy thing.
Your project is fantastic, and gets full marks from me.

p.s. I noticed the attack dog you have in the yard.

#193 ·
astrovan98 said:
I agree with the security thing. You can't tell from the street that it is what it is. It looks like any other building from anywhere except the front side. I think that plays in your favor. My shop is hidden behind the house, and cannot be seen from the road, or from any neighbor's yard due to my 9 foot tall cedar hedges. Those whom I trust have seen it and admire it, but I have had past issues in other houses where total strangers would stop and come on to my property to see what I was doing. I like the privacy thing.
Your project is fantastic, and gets full marks from me.

p.s. I noticed the attack dog you have in the yard.

Thanks!!

Yes exactly. I planned not to attract any attention with my shop from the street side.
That attack dog keeps thinks she's pretty tough. But really only is with squirrels and the neighbor's chickens.

#194 ·
Gas Pump Panels Painted.

I finished painting the gas pump panels today.
I completely stripped both sides of the panels, used SPI epoxy primer, polyester primer, epoxy as a sealer, single-stage urethane in Texaco Red and finished with SPI universal clear.

#197 ·
desertdave said:
Roger, why did you use 2 primers? Why not just the SPI epoxy primer instead of adding the polyester primer as well? Just curious :confused:
There were some dings and dents that I had to knock out and I needed to block sand them to get them perfect.
The Evercoat Slick Sand polyester primer is a real high build and works real well with block sanding panels perfectly smooth.
I could have block sanded with the epoxy primer, but it would have taken a few more coats.

#198 ·
roger1 said:
There were some dings and dents that I had to knock out and I needed to block sand them to get them perfect.
The Evercoat Slick Sand polyester primer is a real high build and works real well with block sanding panels perfectly smooth.
I could have block sanded with the epoxy primer, but it would have taken a few more coats.
Gotcha, makes sense now ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.