Designing New Garage - Page 12 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2009, 12:32 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Oh Geez, it would just HAVE to be a functional one, wouldn't it?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2009, 02:58 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GMC
Oh Geez, it would just HAVE to be a functional one, wouldn't it?
They are about $1,300 for a reconditioned functioning original through some stores on the internet.

It may be tough to find an original to restore.

I agree with Kevin. I will try to find one like in the first picture without the globe. I didn't run electrical wires to where the air pipe comes out of my concrete island. (I did run electric wires to the gas pump location though.)
Old 01-20-2009, 05:25 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Roger, I sent you a PM with questions about Wolverine Coatings, but did not receive a reply. I did contact Fred @Wolverine Coatings and he provided me with the answers. I still have a question on time frame. I have 1400 sq ft to coat. I will be acid etching the new concrete, which has not had any sealer added. I expect this to take half a day for the etching and rinsing and a couple of days to dry (in floor radiant heat will help this along). My big question for you is how many sq ft do you think two people working together can cover in an 8 hour day? If we can not cover the entire 1400 sq ft, will there be a noticeable joint where we resume coating the next day? Did you use the ultra violet resistance clear or did you go with the slightly cheaper clear? And last, did you use the crack/expansion joint sealer before the first sealer coat? I have sawed expansion joints and it does not bother me to have them showing, but I don't want the edges start flaking up either.

As a side note, Wolverine Coatings is only 35 miles away and I can take delivery there and not wait on UPS ground.

Trees
Old 01-20-2009, 07:26 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trees
Roger, I sent you a PM with questions about Wolverine Coatings, but did not receive a reply. I did contact Fred @Wolverine Coatings and he provided me with the answers. I still have a question on time frame. I have 1400 sq ft to coat. I will be acid etching the new concrete, which has not had any sealer added. I expect this to take half a day for the etching and rinsing and a couple of days to dry (in floor radiant heat will help this along). My big question for you is how many sq ft do you think two people working together can cover in an 8 hour day? If we can not cover the entire 1400 sq ft, will there be a noticeable joint where we resume coating the next day? Did you use the ultra violet resistance clear or did you go with the slightly cheaper clear? And last, did you use the crack/expansion joint sealer before the first sealer coat? I have sawed expansion joints and it does not bother me to have them showing, but I don't want the edges start flaking up either.

As a side note, Wolverine Coatings is only 35 miles away and I can take delivery there and not wait on UPS ground.

Trees
Trees,

Sorry I didn't see your PM. I didn't get any notification and didn't know you sent me one.

Two people should easily be able to do the 1400 ft2 in one day. Mix and spread it 1 - 3 gallon kit at a time. So, figure day 1 for the BondTite, day 2 for the LiquaTile and DecoFlakes and day 3 for the BondTite or EnduraShield.

I used the EnduraShield and did 2 coats of that.

My concrete does not have any expansion joints so I did not purchase any of the IntegraFlex. I did fill some imperfections in the concrete with this:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...3+90307+501637
I used some before and some on top of the BondTite.

Here's the link to my Wolverine experience:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=26308
Old 01-20-2009, 08:29 PM

Last photo:

Thanks, Roger and for spending all the time required to give a thorough blow by blow description of your project. I think we have all learned a bunch and received a bunch of inspiration from your efforts.

I have read all of the garage journal: that is where I found Fred's email. I will not be using the flakes since I will be doing a lot of work in my shop and my old eyes need all the help they can get when the old fumble fingers drop small items all the time. (I keep a 4" diameter magnet on a 42" handle to help me locate dropped items as it is). The Home Depot link says no longer stocked so guess I will go with Integra Flex. The one gallon should do all the joints. I will also go with the Endura Shield because of the three large doors let in a lot of sunshine when they are open. Since I am not going to use the flakes, do you think I will need the spikes?

Trees
Old 01-20-2009, 08:46 PM

Last photo:

I'd get the spiked shoes anyway. When you are using squeegee, it makes it easier to not have to worry about where you are stepping. Plus, if you see that you missed a small area while you are rolling it out, you will have wished you had them on.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:22 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Hey Roger, I sent you a PM
Old 01-21-2009, 05:38 PM

Last photo:

Roger, I ordered the "stuff" today and will pick up from the factory on Monday. I'll try to complete the acid etch Fri or Sat and be ready for the first coat on Tue. Since there is going to be two, possibly 3 of us spreading and rolling, Fred thought we would have no problems with covering the entire 1400 sq ft per day so maybe I'll be all moved in by the end of the month!!!

Trees
Old 01-21-2009, 05:50 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trees
Roger, I ordered the "stuff" today and will pick up from the factory on Monday. I'll try to complete the acid etch Fri or Sat and be ready for the first coat on Tue. Since there is going to be two, possibly 3 of us spreading and rolling, Fred thought we would have no problems with covering the entire 1400 sq ft per day so maybe I'll be all moved in by the end of the month!!!

Trees
Sounds great.
Post some photos!
Old 01-26-2009, 03:52 PM

Last photo:

Workbenches done

I completed my workbenches. I special ordered pure black and pure white Armstrong VCT tiles from Lowes and cut them into 5" squares. I sanded the tiles with 80 grit and coated them with Wolverine BondTite 1101 epoxy. Wow, that stuff really self-levels nicely. I then installed 1 1/4" aluminum edging. The 1/8" tiles are glued onto to 1 1/8 OSB flooring so the edging fits perfectly.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:46 PM

Last photo:

Roger, your creativity is embarrassing the rest of us!! I picked up my Wolverine Supplies this AM and enjoyed my visit with the owner. He wanted to do some trading - build his 57 312 TBird motor to go in his 55 Ford PU for the Wolverine Stuff. Would have been a great deal for me, but I am in the hobby for fun and do not want a job, plus I am too busy to do this. He and an assistant gave me some great pointers that were not in their instructions that I had down loaded. He cautioned about applying the primer coat with the floor temperature increasing as this would cause bubbling. He said that I should turn off the circulating hot water when I apply the primer coat. And should be good to go with all the other coats with the heat off. Their display of different coatings and different textures was really neat and interesting. Classy operation. He had been following your build closely and was as impressed with your work as the rest of us are.

Trees
Old 01-26-2009, 06:03 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Hey Trees......Make sure you start up a new thread and post your "how to's" I'm hoping to do something with mine this year (if the economy will let me) and will need EVERY pointer I can get.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:23 AM

Last photo:

New stuff

I went to a petrolinia dealer in Odessa, Tx yesterday and purchased a nicely restored and operational Eco air meter and a 1949 self-serve Coke machine:

I got the gas price sign thrown in with the deal when I bought the gas pump last week. Gas was 24.9 cents when I got my driver's license so that's what my price will be.

The Coke machine is in good overall shape and in working condition. It looks like it was re-painted a while ago though and has some defects. I will do a real nice restore job on it down the road. The gas pump restore will come first on my list. I hope to start on that soon. I think I will paint the side panels on the pump white and the front panels red to match the scheme of the air meter.

I also pulled my toy, that has been waiting patiently for almost a year, into the shop for the first time:

Old 01-31-2009, 02:34 PM

Last photo:

Shame on you Roger!!! I see some trash on the floor behind the left rear wheel!!! The Vette sure looks good in it's new house. I finished the last coat this afternoon so will start moving in Tuesday. We will put the cove molding on Monday AM which is the last thing I need to do before my son returns from sea in May. We still have to install stair railing and railing along the balcony office.

Trees.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:26 PM

Last photo:

Update

I just put up the Texaco sign today.
I also am in the middle of the gas pump restore job.
I am using SPI epoxy primer on all the internal and external parts.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.