Hot Rod Forum banner

Designing New Garage

121K views 247 replies 52 participants last post by  macrobert68 
#1 · (Edited)
I planning on breaking ground on my new Garage/Shop in June 08.

I thought I would start a thread here and update it as the project progresses.

Right now I am in the design phase so comments and suggestions will be appreciated.

First, I am posting a picture of a gas station that is the inspiration of my design:

I am planning on a 24' X 48' building with a 19' X 14' drive through. It will have a 10ft. ceiling throughout and the garage doors will be 8' X 8' (Edited 1/6/08 to 9ft wide by 8 ft high)
Here is rough sketch of my plan:

Here is my floor plan so far:

The room on the east will be for my "Clean/Dirty" work area. Sanding, painting, etc. I will have no tools or furniture in that room so it can be cleaned out easily.
The 3 rooms in the back from left to right will be the bathroom, compressor & dust collector room and the beadblaster & parts washer room. The rest of the area will be the main work area.

See less See more
#158 ·
desertdave said:
Top notch garage! Are you going to add old gas pumps out front?
Yes.

I really like this one:

I want to get an air meter as well:

I have installed power in the middle of the island for lighting up a gas pump and also installed a pipe connected to my shop compressor.

#159 ·
Finished the floor and hung the TV

I think the floor came out great!
I am walking on it now but still want to give the clear urethane more cure time before moving anything heavy on it.

I hung the TV today:

If you missed it, I did a documentation of the floor epoxy install located here:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26308

Next in line:
Workbench top and edging.
Install drawer and door pulls.
Painting the baseboards and doing some paint touch-up.
Installing the sink.

#161 ·
Bought an old gas pump today.

It's a Tokheim 39 model built in 1951.

I will restore it and put a globe on top.

Here is a picture of a restored pump of the same model. This is what I want it to look like:

I am still hunting for an air meter to put on the island as well.

#164 ·
Kevin45 said:
Nice score Roger. Good luck on the air meter. Are you going to try and find one with the post light or just the meter? BTW.....you need two rockers and a Coke machine out in front :D

Which meter do you like better?

These air meters are reproductions and I know that the first one's meter is non-functioning but I am not sure about the second one.

#165 ·
I grew up with the style of the first one you posted so I am kind of partial to that style. Although either one is going to look sweet out there. I know where there are 8 of the first style all in one place and every one is in use. Some are in buildings and some are still outside being used. And no...they won't come off of any of them. I tried :D There was also a gas station that closed up last year that had the first style plus the old style island light. He took the meter but left the island light. And no...he won't come off of that either. I tried :D When the station was open he had to finally take it down because kids would cranks the handle around until it would break. He finally got tired of rebuilding it.

#167 ·
66GMC said:
Oh Geez, it would just HAVE to be a functional one, wouldn't it? :thumbup:
They are about $1,300:pain: for a reconditioned functioning original through some stores on the internet.

It may be tough to find an original to restore.

I agree with Kevin. I will try to find one like in the first picture without the globe. I didn't run electrical wires to where the air pipe comes out of my concrete island. (I did run electric wires to the gas pump location though.)

#168 ·
Roger, I sent you a PM with questions about Wolverine Coatings, but did not receive a reply. I did contact Fred @Wolverine Coatings and he provided me with the answers. I still have a question on time frame. I have 1400 sq ft to coat. I will be acid etching the new concrete, which has not had any sealer added. I expect this to take half a day for the etching and rinsing and a couple of days to dry (in floor radiant heat will help this along). My big question for you is how many sq ft do you think two people working together can cover in an 8 hour day? If we can not cover the entire 1400 sq ft, will there be a noticeable joint where we resume coating the next day? Did you use the ultra violet resistance clear or did you go with the slightly cheaper clear? And last, did you use the crack/expansion joint sealer before the first sealer coat? I have sawed expansion joints and it does not bother me to have them showing, but I don't want the edges start flaking up either.

As a side note, Wolverine Coatings is only 35 miles away and I can take delivery there and not wait on UPS ground.

Trees

#169 ·
trees said:
Roger, I sent you a PM with questions about Wolverine Coatings, but did not receive a reply. I did contact Fred @Wolverine Coatings and he provided me with the answers. I still have a question on time frame. I have 1400 sq ft to coat. I will be acid etching the new concrete, which has not had any sealer added. I expect this to take half a day for the etching and rinsing and a couple of days to dry (in floor radiant heat will help this along). My big question for you is how many sq ft do you think two people working together can cover in an 8 hour day? If we can not cover the entire 1400 sq ft, will there be a noticeable joint where we resume coating the next day? Did you use the ultra violet resistance clear or did you go with the slightly cheaper clear? And last, did you use the crack/expansion joint sealer before the first sealer coat? I have sawed expansion joints and it does not bother me to have them showing, but I don't want the edges start flaking up either.

As a side note, Wolverine Coatings is only 35 miles away and I can take delivery there and not wait on UPS ground.

Trees
Trees,

Sorry I didn't see your PM. I didn't get any notification and didn't know you sent me one.

Two people should easily be able to do the 1400 ft2 in one day. Mix and spread it 1 - 3 gallon kit at a time. So, figure day 1 for the BondTite, day 2 for the LiquaTile and DecoFlakes and day 3 for the BondTite or EnduraShield.

I used the EnduraShield and did 2 coats of that.

My concrete does not have any expansion joints so I did not purchase any of the IntegraFlex. I did fill some imperfections in the concrete with this:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100371835&N=10000003+90307+501637
I used some before and some on top of the BondTite.

Here's the link to my Wolverine experience:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26308

#170 ·
Thanks, Roger and for spending all the time required to give a thorough blow by blow description of your project. I think we have all learned a bunch and received a bunch of inspiration from your efforts.

I have read all of the garage journal: that is where I found Fred's email. I will not be using the flakes since I will be doing a lot of work in my shop and my old eyes need all the help they can get when the old fumble fingers drop small items all the time. (I keep a 4" diameter magnet on a 42" handle to help me locate dropped items as it is). The Home Depot link says no longer stocked so guess I will go with Integra Flex. The one gallon should do all the joints. I will also go with the Endura Shield because of the three large doors let in a lot of sunshine when they are open. Since I am not going to use the flakes, do you think I will need the spikes?

Trees

#171 ·
I'd get the spiked shoes anyway. When you are using squeegee, it makes it easier to not have to worry about where you are stepping. Plus, if you see that you missed a small area while you are rolling it out, you will have wished you had them on.

#173 ·
Roger, I ordered the "stuff" today and will pick up from the factory on Monday. I'll try to complete the acid etch Fri or Sat and be ready for the first coat on Tue. Since there is going to be two, possibly 3 of us spreading and rolling, Fred thought we would have no problems with covering the entire 1400 sq ft per day so maybe I'll be all moved in by the end of the month!!!

Trees

#174 ·
trees said:
Roger, I ordered the "stuff" today and will pick up from the factory on Monday. I'll try to complete the acid etch Fri or Sat and be ready for the first coat on Tue. Since there is going to be two, possibly 3 of us spreading and rolling, Fred thought we would have no problems with covering the entire 1400 sq ft per day so maybe I'll be all moved in by the end of the month!!!

Trees
Sounds great.
Post some photos!

#175 ·
Workbenches done

I completed my workbenches. I special ordered pure black and pure white Armstrong VCT tiles from Lowes and cut them into 5" squares. I sanded the tiles with 80 grit and coated them with Wolverine BondTite 1101 epoxy. Wow, that stuff really self-levels nicely. I then installed 1 1/4" aluminum edging. The 1/8" tiles are glued onto to 1 1/8 OSB flooring so the edging fits perfectly.

#176 ·
Roger, your creativity is embarrassing the rest of us!! I picked up my Wolverine Supplies this AM and enjoyed my visit with the owner. He wanted to do some trading - build his 57 312 TBird motor to go in his 55 Ford PU for the Wolverine Stuff. Would have been a great deal for me, but I am in the hobby for fun and do not want a job, plus I am too busy to do this. He and an assistant gave me some great pointers that were not in their instructions that I had down loaded. He cautioned about applying the primer coat with the floor temperature increasing as this would cause bubbling. He said that I should turn off the circulating hot water when I apply the primer coat. And should be good to go with all the other coats with the heat off. Their display of different coatings and different textures was really neat and interesting. Classy operation. He had been following your build closely and was as impressed with your work as the rest of us are.

Trees

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.