Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Designing New Garage
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2008, 12:29 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Cboy's comment on the bathroom sparked another recollection for me.
According to local by-laws ... each building that has running water has to have it's OWN sewage line. In other words, I couldn't simply "tie it in" to the sewage line to the house.

A whole new line all the way from the back yard to the center of the street out front ... 100 feet or so ... was "guesstimated" to cost something ridiculous ... $10,000 +.

I thought "For that much I can just run into the house ..."

F&J's comment on the 8ft wide doors is bang-on too.
I put 12-footers on mine, and it still takes a little manuevering to swing in from the alley with my pickup truck (extended cab - short-box). Pickup trucks usually have some wide mirrors as well ... so unless you want to fold / un-fold mirrors ... you may want wider doors.

I am installing overhead infra-red heaters. Unless you are going to keep your garage heated all the time ... that in-floor heat would take a while to "ramp up". I see my garage / workshop as an "occasional" or "weekend" thing ... so I want to heat it only when I need it. I would expect that Texas would have a much shorter "heating season" than Alberta Canada, though.

SpeedyDeedy's "curb wall" idea is a good one, too. I had mine (only 6" high) cast and poured with the slab, and then built a 10-ft stud wall on top of that.

Pictures are in my jounal.

I am STILL waiting for my (9' x 12') garage doors.
The gas and electrical are roughed in, the infra-red heater is hung, siding and roofing are complete.

I still need to insulate and hang PLYWOOD interior walls ... I'm not using gyprock.

I'm also planning to mount my workbench on casters so that I can move it around as needed.

I had the contractor cast in some mounting holes in the concrete floor for 4 chain-pots ... for use in anchoring and pulling things with a cable or hydraulic "come-along".

I requested LOTS of electrical outlets ... one duplex receptacle about every 4 ft or so for a total of about 16. Two 220-volt as well. One for a compressor, and another for a mig welder.

2 ceiling fans to keep the air moving. Seeing as how infra-red heating is "line of sight" it might be a little chilly in the "shadows" and under the vehicles. The air movement will also help to keep the windows clear.