Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Designing New Garage
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2008, 01:32 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Good thoughts. Thanks.

#1. Not too concerned with heating here in San Angelo, TX.
The winters are pretty mild. Matter of fact it is 78 degrees right now. I will be putting in A/C for the summer. I think I will build in a couple of heat/cool units. One for the main area and one for the clean room.

#2 As far as getting a permit in San Angelo, I just have to make them believe it is not going to be for living space.

#3 I have given this a lot of thought and decided if I ever get a lift it would be one of those low units that can be disassembled and moved out of the way. Don't need a high ceiling for one of those. I have a house attached 2 car garage already so I have enough vehicle storage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
Great looking plan.

Things to think about:

1) I don't know if you are in a cold part of Texas or not. But if you are I would strongly consider putting in in-floor hydroponic heating. It's the biggest mistake I made in my shop - not having it. I'm on my feet a LOT in shop throughout the winter and it gets pretty brutal. The rest of the shop is at 60...but the floor is ice cold. But then, maybe you need A/C more than you need heat.

2) Just be aware, when you put running water and a bathroom in your shop it will most likely bump it into a different category for tax purposes AND for insurance purposes. Both will be more costly than just a plain old garage. At least that's the way it is here in WI.

3) Before you decide on a final ceiling/roof height, think long and hard about a lift and the design requirements for that particular lift...and the vehicles you will be lifting. Some require a 12' clearance to function properly.

Last edited by roger1; 01-05-2008 at 07:33 PM.