Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Designing New Garage
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2008, 06:54 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79C10
Have you considered a retractable wall for the main bays? It would never hurt to be able to open up the floor if you needed to. I hope you are not offended , but I re-worked your plan a little bit.

Just thought of this. Have you considered an in floor pit for easy oil changes , etc? It's not the solution to everything under the car , but may be an alternative to a lift in some situations. You could also use "cathedral" or vaulted trusses in the garage area to improve headroom for a lift.
No offense what-so-ever. I am really enjoying reading everyone's opinions and ideas and have already decided to do some of the things suggested.
Yes, I thought of a retractable wall but decided that the permanent wall was the way to go for me. I do want to keep the west bay open to the main area as this is where I will do general mechanical work (not the dust making kind) and the rest of the time storage for my '69 Corvette. I also figured that the wall between the bathroom door and blaster room door would be perfect for a flat screen TV.
Also, I planned on putting in good retractable attic stairs and utilize attic space for storage like you said.
And yes, I had thought about a pit and lift quite a bit. I am really used to putting a car up on 4 heavy duty jack stands as that is the way I have done it all my life. However, if I ever got a lift, I think I would get the Kwiklift portable. The 10 ft. ceilings would not be an issue for this lift. I really can't see me ever wanting a high lift.
Thanks for your input!