Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Designing New Garage
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2008, 07:36 PM
thewrongshop@yahoo.com

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Great looking plan -radiant floor heat-

I must agree with Cboy with the radiant floor heat 100 % I did my floor last year this time in the shoe box shop I have ,the heating system works great ! No cold feet and clean with no fear of combustibles to worry about as with infra red heaters . I found a Quiteside QVM9 wall mount set up for LPG @ the curb ( a 4000 dollar uint), I put 300' of pex tubing in the 7"+ floor , double vapor barrier , and good insulation . leaving the temp set at 50 for 24/7 one month cost me 72 bucks . Sure glad I took the advice to put the system in and I'm glad I did . My next project in the shop it raise the ceiling now that the lift and floor are done ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
Great looking plan.

Things to think about:

1) I don't know if you are in a cold part of Texas or not. But if you are I would strongly consider putting in in-floor hydroponic heating. It's the biggest mistake I made in my shop - not having it. I'm on my feet a LOT in shop throughout the winter and it gets pretty brutal. The rest of the shop is at 60...but the floor is ice cold. But then, maybe you need A/C more than you need heat.

2) Just be aware, when you put running water and a bathroom in your shop it will most likely bump it into a different category for tax purposes AND for insurance purposes. Both will be more costly than just a plain old garage. At least that's the way it is here in WI.

3) Before you decide on a final ceiling/roof height, think long and hard about a lift and the design requirements for that particular lift...and the vehicles you will be lifting. Some require a 12' clearance to function properly.