Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Designing New Garage
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2008, 07:32 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Don
If it was me building a new shop-- which I did last year, I would make it greater then 24' deep. 28' is the number I like best. The added depth gives me room to pull an engine and keep the car inside, with enough room to move the floor crane and still utilize the rebuild bench and work on the engine without having to shuffle things around. Also I would respectfully have you consider building the garage with a weight carrying I trush, made of wood overhead so you can use a chain hoist to suspend those bodies off the frame until the frame is ready to go back together. What a time safer this is when building a frame and then trying to fit the body mounts to it.

Just a couple of thoughts I had: that you may have not thought of... Chow!

I know what you are saying about the 24. However, my "clean room" will not have a bench on the end if I ever have a need to do an engine remove/install with the door closed, I could do it in there (as long as it was an average size car and not a pickup). Other things I considered are that I don't do engines all that often and the weather is mild in San Angelo. I am already committed on the size at this point as well.
The overhead I beam truss I am going to do.

Thanks for the suggestions!

And btw, it looks like pouring the concrete is probably not going to happen until Tuesday. I got a green tag for the plumbing inspection but there is still some rebar work to do before getting the inspection needed before the pour.