Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Designing New Garage
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2008, 06:28 AM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
The beams are 24" deep and 12 feet apart which exceeds the code for San Angelo.

Not dissing.. ....Just comparing codes and differences in different parts of the USA I have never seen beams built under the garage floors like that, unless the beam was going to support some excessive weight like a lift attachment point or monstorous machinery mounting point. (of course, I am taliking about garages with trussed roofs and no load bearing walls inside)

Here in my state, a hobbyist garage might go to 6" thick floor, but surely never having beams out in the middle like that....and it's super rare "here", to see rebar either! I think the concrete mix is special to allow no rebar...I am pretty positive on that. Residential garages are likely 4" with no beams, just frost walls on the perimiter only.

We have codes here for frost wall depths of 42"... but there is supposed to be a new system around here to allow buried rigid insulation placed at 45* angles downward around the perimiter, that allows way less of a frost wall depth.

Hey Roger, I've been following your build from the initial planning. You yakking about the old service station look, now has me hooked on trying to put a similar facade on my existing shop....a porch overhang with that same roofing ...and one of those nice doors you showed ..thanks for the inspiration