Hot Rod Forum banner

Designing New Garage

121K views 247 replies 52 participants last post by  macrobert68 
#1 · (Edited)
I planning on breaking ground on my new Garage/Shop in June 08.

I thought I would start a thread here and update it as the project progresses.

Right now I am in the design phase so comments and suggestions will be appreciated.

First, I am posting a picture of a gas station that is the inspiration of my design:

I am planning on a 24' X 48' building with a 19' X 14' drive through. It will have a 10ft. ceiling throughout and the garage doors will be 8' X 8' (Edited 1/6/08 to 9ft wide by 8 ft high)
Here is rough sketch of my plan:

Here is my floor plan so far:

The room on the east will be for my "Clean/Dirty" work area. Sanding, painting, etc. I will have no tools or furniture in that room so it can be cleaned out easily.
The 3 rooms in the back from left to right will be the bathroom, compressor & dust collector room and the beadblaster & parts washer room. The rest of the area will be the main work area.

See less See more
#77 ·
The bagged dirt and rebar construction for the foundation/slab is identical to what they did for my house in San Antonio. I'm not a concrete guy, so I can't explain why they do it that way. It gives the equivalent of reinforced concrete beams under the load bearing walls.

Bruce

#84 ·
Attic Stairs

:thumbup: you just might want to make that opening in the
ceiling to get into the attic a little bit bigger.i made mine
4 ft square.you never know when you just might need it.
the opening to the attic at my house is 2 ft with folding attic
stairs,what a pain in the ### at christmas time getting down
all those lights & everything else.that 4x4 opening at my garage
has been a life saver.i know that i have to use a ladder when
i go up there but it is worth it.it is just a thought.my garage
is 32x40--2 10x10 overhead doors & a 36 in man door.
your garage sure is looking good,enjoy it. BOB

#91 ·
Thanks for the complements guys.

Updates:

Got a green tag for the electrical rough in from the city yesterday. That made me feel good since I did that work all myself.

I am a little disappointed at my roofer. He was supposed to start putting on the metal roofing today and didn't show up. He said his helpers tied one on last night.

A lot will get done this week. The rest of the windows should go in tomorrow and the siding should be done by mid-week. The bead board under the drive through will get done too. Then maybe doors and sheet rocking the ceiling might get started.
My garage doors are ordered but won't be in until the week after the 4th of July.

I should have some good pictures to post in the coming week.

#93 ·
roger1 said:
I am a little disappointed at my roofer. He was supposed to start putting on the metal roofing today and didn't show up. He said his helpers tied one on last night.
My contractor's guys seemed to be allergic to working in fair weather for some reason. Wanted to get in one last hunting / fishing / golf trip?

In this part of the world, EARLY October is usually fairly stable weatherwise ... but winter quite often arrives un-announced with a vengence by the end of the month. I can recall many Halloweens with our kids in snow-suits.

The pad area was prepped and rebar was in place for the majority of the month ... and I kept calling and asking "Where the heck are you guys? ..."

They FINALLY poured on the 31st followed by several days of freezing weather and snow ... and the surface of my floor tells the tale. Grrrr!!

#94 ·
Progress through 7/5/08

Got a green tag for framing.
All the windows are in and trimmed on the outside.
The roofer is working this weekend.
I decided to go with a different kind of Hardie siding on the front gable end.

#97 · (Edited)
Progress as of 7/24/08

Progress since last post:
Inside all insulated and mostly sheet-rocked.
Roof complete.
Siding complete.
Bead board installed under drive-through.
Posts wrapped with hardi.
Fill is being spread and getting ready to pour the rest of the concrete hopefully by the weekend.
Bathroom should get tiled next week.
Contractors should be done and gone soon and the rest is up to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.