Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Designing a Website
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2006, 09:53 PM
Time is short, are you ready?

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Buy a copy of Microsoft's FrontPage 2003 for $88 - The Software Guy

Register your domain name at www.active-domain.com - about $8 to $9 a year, or at webhost4life (see below)

Open a hosting account with www.webhost4life.com - Hosting Plans
The basic plan is $20 setup fee, $4.95/mo for 1000 MB You get alot of stuff including unlimited bandwidth, email accounts, MySql database for php message boards, etc. Look at the list in the Hosting Plans link. I have had great success with webhost4life and the uploading files is a piece of cake. They also have great technical support, including online tickets and/or an 800 #

I have also had a chance to use Godaddy.com for hosting, and they have some great deals as well. Even more space for about the same price as WH4L. Like 5 GB for $5/mo. But all in all, I prefer WH4L because you can add many domains under the one hosting account. You set up subfolders for each domain. Godaddy does not offer this feature. So what good is 5 GB for one domain? Not really an advantage unless you have a lot of photos and/or videos to host.

FrontPage is very easy to use, no harder than using Word or Excel (IMO). Take baby steps and spend a lot of time at www.frontpagewebmaster.com. That is a message board where many expert web designers help from around the world. About the same caliber as HR.com is for car help.

I have a number of links for building websites here: http://www.edgesz28.com/edgesz28/webtools.htm

Once you learn the basics, you can add javascript and DHTML to the code and spice things up a bit.

Here are few I did using FP2003, but some features like the drop down menus are not standard FP.

www.edgesz28.com
www.bennygordon.us
www.jodylavender.com
www.gentrymotorsports.com
www.pontiacfbc.com
www.mycommitment.com
www.cranked2eleven.com
www.edjean.com
www.edgesz28.com/garystamant/index2.htm

There is really too much to try to convey in one message. If you decide to give it a try and have any more questions, please do not hesitate to PM me. I will help in any way that I can. Understand this: Once you get the hang of FP, building websites is NOT hard.

Good luck, Ed