Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Designing a Website
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2006, 04:00 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I am no expert on websites, but I spent time looking at various websites and layouts I liked. Spent many nights reading about making a website. I downloaded website builder software from netscape called netscape communicater. It can open other websites you find on the net to modify it. Doubt its anywhere near as nice as frontpage but it was free. I also read up on html so I could learn how to make rollovers using javascript. Made my buttons and stuff in an image program that was on my computer. Alot of information can be found on html if you want to do things that the program won't do. You can see the html for other sites by right clicking when you visit the site and clicking propertys or save the html for one you design in notepad and put in your changes. Not an easy way to do it, but for messing around building a website and not stuck having to use a template that your provider lets you choose from. I am still using a free webhost for now, which means I have a subdomain. I use 50webs.com, much improvement over the free host I had before that had tons of advertising and popups. Just things to do if you want to mess around building a site without spending anything right now. Then once you get something built you like, for a business you can spend the money on a domain and site statistics, ect. Mine is basically a personal site just to show what I do and maybe pic up some sidework. Its enough to suit my needs for now. If I wanted a more complex site or owned an actual business, then I probably would buy some good software, look at various webhosting plans, or tssk, pay someone to do it.
As far as hemi wondering about rankings, different search engines use different ways of determining how they rank based on keywords, how many links there are to your site ect. I also read up on that too a little. But you can submit your site to search engines like google and yahoo, dmoz.org, to get your site submitted in to search engines. Much imformation can be found on rankings too if you search and read. My old site actually got pretty good rankings when searching for specific keywords, but my new one doesn't seem to be ranked as well for some reason.