Hot Rod Forum banner

desoto engine swap

7K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  hduff 
#1 ·
hello,
:welcome:
i'm the new guy on the block.
i was going to purchase a 63 impala (i had a 65 and always wanted to have a six three) but recently i found a 53 desoto. to keep it short, the desoto has some trans shifting problem and a flathead 6. can i drop a basic checy LT1 in there with some "other" trans OR should i stick to the impala which i know about. i wouldnt mind being different with the desoto but not if it is gonna cause WAY too much headache.

heres the Soto

impala's like this

thanks in advance for any input.

See less See more
#8 ·
:welcome: One of the reasons i like the desoto you dont see them around like a 63 chevy.I put a 72 nova sub frame with 350 engin and nova rear end.Iv still got motor trany rear end out of desoto.All ran and work good.
TerryDRace, i am very interested in learning more about your engine (drive train swap). I just bought a 1950 desoto, and someone did swap the old 6 out with a poor and weak 318. i wondered how hard, what was involved ect with the sub frame, and rear end.. ive been working on cars and welding for 15 years, but when it comes to the unknown, i undermind myself.... any thoughts or advice would be so gratefully received. i know ill get a lot of flack about not going mopar, but im building a mild rat rod, era appropriate, and cost efficiently. i like the gm drive train over molar bc im more knowledgable about them

#7 ·
desoto man

I was going to keep it all original but no power stirring or brakes the steering was lose put all new tie rods king pines and still lose so thats y i converted it. Now my wife can drive it now.A hemi is hard to find and when you do find one vary expensive to build.Took cheap way out. :pain:

#11 ·
i was trying to replay, or ask about en earlier topic listed above.. i just havent got this all worked out lol... terrydrace, had made the statement above about swaping engs, i was hoping to learn more. sorry for all the confusion! and thank you, maybe i can get this thing up and going lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.