DeSoto Roller Cam Help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2008, 02:05 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

DeSoto Roller Cam Help

My DeSoto roller cam came today...it's "used" but looks like it's never been installed/run, and is in perfect condition. Question is, how do I tell if it was ground for solid rollers or hydraulic rollers?...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2008, 02:30 PM

Last photo:

Unless you have a very detailed cam card showing the lift/duration through out the lobes shape and a cam degree wheel it's impossible.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:06 PM

Where did you buy it, from a private party or a manufacturer, if it's an old cam that was ground a while back, I would guess it's a solid roller, do they even make hydraulic roller lifters for a DeSoto? (pardon the ignorance if they take a common lifter).
Old 08-18-2008, 08:08 PM

Last photo:

Purchased from a private individual, through Racer Brown. New DeSoto cams are not available from ANY source (unless someone has one squirreled away), but regrinds are easily obtainable. I'm leaning toward hydraulic roller, due to the fact that DeSoto never produced a solid lifter cam for their Production Hemi cars...and therefore, no adjustable rockers. Rockers for the other Divisions Hemis didn't interchange, so swapping adjusable rockers onto the Desoto shafts wasn't feasible. However, adjustable push rods were available aftermarket...which sends me back to square #1...
Old 08-18-2008, 10:20 PM

Thing is, hydraulic rollers are a relatively new (well, not that new) technology, if there are hydraulic roller lifters even available for a Desoto I would be surprised. A solid roller has a lobe designed to take up some slack without pounding the ******* out of things due to the lash, where a hydraulic roller doesn't really need that since it should always be in contact with the cam. I would think for a limited use vehicle even if you used hydraulic rollers on a cam ground for a solid roller you aren't going to encounter any problems, even the other way around I don't see an issue unless we are talking about some .700 inch lift monster.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:24 PM

Last photo:

That particular Hemi family is such a narrow "market" for repro parts, I couldn't imagine a company tooling up specifically to make a hyd. roller series of lifters and camshafts unless their was some interchange between already existing components from similar engines. The 392 hemi has for example, similar parts that are shared with the newer 340/360 engines. I saw a comment posted on the "other" forum board about the same question about the lobe being tapered if it were a hyd. roller to tell the difference. That is false, and only applies to flat tappet style camshafts, not solid or hyd. roller. My bet is on a solid roller that was intended to be used with adj. pushrods. You stated that no adj. rockers for those engines are available. Likewise, if no source for a hyd. lifter can be found, that only leaves it to be a solid roller!
Old 08-19-2008, 07:00 AM

Last photo:

gregb,
That seems to make sense...I hope. One side of the surface has more of a pronounces arc, or curve...the other side is flatter. The lift on this cam is only .015 more than on the stock cam, but the duration appears to be quite a bit more. No, it's not for a monster lift/racer engine. I plan on injecting, EDIS8, and Megasquirt for the street (channeled, full fendered, 32), so your statement about using hydraulic rollers on a solid roller gives me hope...

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.