Detroit Locker - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2005, 03:01 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Detroit Locker

Hello
I am building an old corvette as a street/strip car. The car has a narrowed Dana in it now with 35 spline axles and a spool
I don't want to use the spool on the street and had wondered if anyone has used a locker? I know there are not as loose as a posi unit for cornering, but I have no experience with them at all
I have 19.5 x 33 inch tires on the back and they are about 28 inches apart. Is this still going to be bad for turning corners with a Locker unit?
This car will be limited to a few thousand miles a year,but my biggest concern will be attracting unwanted attenton, from the local police if it spins the inside tire in a tight corner
I had thought of using a posi unit out of a 3/4 or a 1 ton truck , but I am unsure if the Dana 60 is the same for them as a passenger car posi unit
Using a posi would mean I would have to change the rear end set up for the strip, which may only be once a year( yes I know this is a lot of work)
I would appreciate any input
Tom

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2005, 03:39 PM

Last photo:

The Detroit Locker will allow each rear tire to turn at different speeds when you turn and should hear a clicking when you turn to allow for the different wheel speeds so it won't chirp the inside tire going around a corner .
Old 11-05-2005, 11:43 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado-tech
The Detroit Locker will allow each rear tire to turn at different speeds when you turn and should hear a clicking when you turn to allow for the different wheel speeds so it won't chirp the inside tire going around a corner .
Only if you are coasting. If you have even the slightest amount of power applied the locker will be locked solid just like a spool.

A locker always drives the inside tire in a turn and the outside axle unlocks and free spins faster than the inside axle... unless you have power applied.

In a locker, either axle can turn faster than the carrier, but neither axle can ever turn slower.

It is either locked or coasting, there is no in between.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:24 AM

Last photo:

Locker

Hello
Thanks for the input. XNTRIK, how about just driving around a large bend in the road? The narrow distance between the tires has me concerned on my car
I can appreciate driving it as a Hot Rod, but I still have to be able to drive it, no matter how much I alter my driving style
I won't be able to coast through large corners or bends in the road
take care
Tom
Old 11-06-2005, 04:49 AM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

I was torn between the Detroit Truetrac and the Powertrax No-slip. The Truetrac is a posi that uses conical gears instead of clutches and springs. The Powertrax is a locker that is supposedly a little smoother in turns than the Detroit locker.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:26 AM

locker locker

i took out a limited slip and went with a locker in a 69 camaro with a 12bolt. the locker constantly chirps the tires on tight corners, either the inside tire or outside. it on light corners makes the car feel loose as the locker unlocks and locks. its really a weird feeling. the gear i a 3.40:1, with a richmond 5 speed and hp 350 cu in.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:41 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by henny496
Hello
Thanks for the input. XNTRIK, how about just driving around a large bend in the road? The narrow distance between the tires has me concerned on my car
I can appreciate driving it as a Hot Rod, but I still have to be able to drive it, no matter how much I alter my driving style
I won't be able to coast through large corners or bends in the road
take care
Tom
Both those guys are correct.
I stand by what I said. They concur.

If it ain't coasting,,, it is locked. period. Read 269s stuff again....
Pro-street tires makes it worse.

Powertrax is just as bad and won't stand your power since it passes all drive power through the spider shafts just like a stock differential. It is a drop in locker for regular stock carriers. Big power still breaks the carrier.

I think a limited slip of some type is the only answer.

You have chosen a vehicle design that compromises streetablity. You must live with it or change it completely.

I bet a limited slip would last longer than you think and would curtail the R and R at the strip.

I would call Currie and ask their advice. They have been around since dirt.

check out site www.readershotrods.com drag cars/georges

Last edited by xntrik; 11-06-2005 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:02 PM

Last photo:

My Detroit Locker don't chirp the tires going around a corner but maybe by running very aggressive tires, the tires are slipping just enough on asphalt not to hear them. You will have a lot more tire on the ground than I have so I say the rest of the people are right. Good luck in your decision
Old 11-06-2005, 08:34 PM

Last photo:

Locker or Posi unit for Dana

Hello
Thanks for the input from everyone. I think I will find a posi unit and then change to a spool to race it.
I may even try to find a housing and have another rear end to change. (A 9 inch Ford would be nice , with the ease of just a pot change)
I will use a posi unit on the street
thanks again to everyone for your help
Tom

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.