detroit locker or powertrax locker??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2009, 12:07 PM
70 El Camino aka FRANKENSTEIN

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

detroit locker or powertrax locker???

Im at the point of my 12 bolt build that I am shopping for a carrier.

Im building this 12 bolt for my 70 El Camino its mainly driven on the street in the city. The other portion I would like to be able to abuse at the track. The rest of the car is built for abuse and Id like the 12 bolt to stand up to the most abuse (sticky slicks, traction bars, 4.10s, firm tranny, high torque).

Im really debating on what my next buy should be.

I first started wanting the powertrax no slip locker. Only because it fits inside my open carrier and its fairly cheap for a locker. Ive heard good and bad things about it like any other product but more good then bad. Id buy custom alloy axles from moser with a c-clip eliminator kit. all of this is 30 spline axles.

My other choice the one Ive been thinking about for quite some time now is the detroit locker. Its more aggressive but extremely strong and reliable from what Ive read. Its a bit on the pricey side tho. And if I do do buy it then Id like to upgrade to 33 spline axles with the c-clip eliminators.

I do not want a posi because in all reality I just dont. I dont have any real reason I like the idea of the locker. . . Spool action while straight open while turning (as long as my foot is off the gas). No clutches to wear out no need to rebuild. I dont care about it being smooth and noise free. My car shakes at idle due to the cam. The entire suspension and body mounts are built with energy suspension bushings so it squeaks and its firm. The engine is very loud because i have purple hornies bolted to the headers and it dumps out the side right under the seats. So a rough noisy ride from a locker is just another instrument added to the orchestra lol.

So it all boils down to this. . .

Detroit locker 33 spline axles c-clip eliminators.
OR
Powertrax no slip 30 spline axles c-clip eliminators.

For my 70 elky high torque firm tranny traction bars 4.10s the ability to run slicks at the track and daily abuse on the street.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2009, 12:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

you asked a similar question Here

not many answers in 2007 either
Old 10-11-2009, 12:57 PM

Last photo:

yes that was about a weak 8.2 rear end. many things have changed my plans are very different.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:30 PM
More for Less Racer

What about a Detroit True-Trac type unit??
Old 10-11-2009, 02:31 PM

Last photo:

iv used a powertrax slide in locker in my 8.5" 10 bolt and the open carrier split like it was made of plastic, im talking maybe half throttle from a dead stop. i replaced that with the full detroit unit and it made that whole rear end extremely strong, i mean, that thing was holding up to 500+ hp on 35" offroad tires on a heavy pickup truck and it held together very well, and this is a rear end that all the truck guys know as a very week rear end, the open carrier in my opinion is what makes a small rear end week. i just switched to a 9.5" rear end just because i found a 6 lug one for $150 and i just couldnt pass it up, i did the same thing with that one, 4.56 gears and a Detroit full locker. the full Detroit is worth every penny if you ask me, only carrier ill use. speaking of which, iv got that 8.5" one for sale, to bad it wouldnt fit your 12 bolt.

i would never run a lunch box locker in an open carrier again, its very week imo. maybe you car guys get away with it since your vehicles down weigh as much. and i wouldnt ren the truetrac either, if your going to spend $450 you may as well just spend a couple hundred more and get the best of the best, youl be glad you did when you nail it around a corner and get the car sideways with ease.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:58 PM

I ran a powertraxx in a 94 Dakota with a mild 318/auto trans for 7 years without any problems. The truck had wheel hop issues and eventually the powertraxx started slipping/skipping on the side plate gears. I replaced it with a factory Dodge sure-grip but I'd run a Powertraxx again in a heartbeat. I tried to get the parts to rebuild mine but it would have been cheaper to buy a whole unit. BTW the only annoying thing it did was bind sometimes when you were going really slow on a downhill and turning at the same time with no throttle. A touch of throttle freed it up instantly.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:04 PM

Last photo:

Well I know the detroit locker is by far the best option. Its also the most expensive option.

I guess I would just like to know more about the powertrax locker. Both the no slip and the loc right. whats the difference between them?
Old 10-13-2009, 08:44 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcaminodragster
Well I know the detroit locker is by far the best option. Its also the most expensive option.

I guess I would just like to know more about the powertrax locker. Both the no slip and the loc right. whats the difference between them?
both the same, they act just like the Detroit except they are extremely week.

EDIT: they are not week, they are week because the open carrier you must run them in is extremely week.

Last edited by chevy1500z71; 10-14-2009 at 03:36 PM.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.