Detune 388 Stroker - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 12:36 PM
Old & Furious

Wiki Edits: 0

Wel you will almost always find some metal in the filter and oil but usally a very small amount. Something is out of whack. Changing the cam will only solve the issue if the current cam is bad. Same for the heads.

At this point sounds like you need another set of eyes on the issue. Got any freinds that are good techs or work in a shop. A fresh look at the problem will usally solve the issue.

I had a crazy electrical problem. I could not solve for the life of me. Took it to a shop and they messed it it for an hour then pulled the engine and went of the wires until the found the issue. Bad connector. I had never pulled apart because it looked good and not related to the issue. Once thye got everything apart the problem was appeaernt and they had the car fixed in a few hours. I spent a week testing crap. Thats when i decided i hate cars with comuters. Especially if its a ford with anti lock breaks that go out randomly. And when it does you can not push the peddle hard enpugh to stop the car. What an awesome design. When it fails you have no breaks. Ford os also the only car i ever owned where the floor mat could get stuck under the gas pedal and keep it floored after you let off.

So another pair of eyes at this point would help alot. That new view on the problem my result in a quick fix. It is not right that it is knocking all of a sudden for no reason out of the blue. There must be another problem. The way you described the issue. I have not seen any type of detenation. That bad before.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 12:52 PM

Head gasket

If the heads had been cut alot. The push rods would be to long?? A thicker head gasket would give him less compression?? Isn't that what he wants??
Old 11-18-2012, 12:58 PM

I'm out , You Can't even talk on here with out someone telling you , You are wrong!!! I was just trying to help the guy out!!
Old 11-18-2012, 01:00 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodiebyles View Post
If the heads had been cut alot. The push rods would be to long?? A thicker head gasket would give him less compression?? Isn't that what he wants??
He had it runing fine then let it sit for a few years now it knocks like crazy. Even as soon as he steps on the gas in gear. Something is not right. A head gasket change would help sort some of the issues and can lower compression a little. But ifit had normal compression it should not knock all the time yeah at full throttle but not just moving away froma light.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:02 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,062 Times in 881 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodiebyles View Post
I'm out , You Can't even talk on here with out someone telling you , You are wrong!!! I was just trying to help the guy out!!
That's a flaw in your character dude. If you can't take constructive criticism when you don't know what you're talking about, then you need some professional help with your problem.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:11 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
That's a flaw in your character dude. If you can't take constructive criticism when you don't know what you're talking about, then you need some professional help with your problem.
What was that about... O well. I got a feeling pulling the heads and cam might result in the problem being found.

At this point im wondering if the cam chain isnt stretched. I have seen someone put 87 octane in there 13:1 race car and it didnt knock that bad.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:19 PM

Last photo:

bj383ss,
I didn't read where you had said anything about the carb. If you have good compression and ignition(blue spark) and it won't turn over 4500rpm I would suspect the fuel system. There are some Holleys that have had problems with "rotting" in the fuel bowels on later models(foreign made metal)and elsewhere on other websites. If you know the fuel presure is good I would check the fuel filter, float levels, and remove the carb float bowels and look for debri clogging the jets(especialy since it sat so long) or a blown power valve.
It would probably be easier to swap a borrowed carb to install on the engine for a quick test.FWIW
ssmonty

Last edited by ssmonty; 11-18-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:28 PM

tech,you are blunt like I am. What you said was correct and bottom line,we all learn something here.
debates are healthy,arguing is a waste of time,,,,
Old 11-18-2012, 01:35 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,062 Times in 881 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
tech,you are blunt like I am. What you said was correct and bottom line,we all learn something here.
debates are healthy,arguing is a waste of time,,,,
Thanks Vinnie, I just call 'em like I see 'em. If I'm wrong on a subject and I'm called on it, I'll eat crow and find out the truth and I expect the same from others.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:38 PM

I agree arguing is a waste of time and it get's you know where. I never said I was a expert. And I accept constructive criticsum. But saying I have a charactor Flaw?? What does that do??And I need professional help?? I was just trying to help this guy?? I guess I just need to keep my mouth shut!! and let the experts handle it.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:50 PM

Last photo:

Thanks everyone for you ideas and suggestions. The heads were not milled that much just enough to clean the surface. I have not messed with the Holley.

So heres my new punch list:

Going to pull the fuel bowls check for debris in the jets and reset the floats. I know the fuel filter is good. It is one of the clear glass ones. Mounted after the pump.

I also want to try readjusting the valves one more time.

I know what you mean Hcompton. Luckily I have the 64' truck at home now and I when I get frustrated with the Caprice I close the hood and work on the truck. I know at some point I will figure it out. That is one thing about hot rods. When something goes wrong its not always apparent at first.

Bret
Old 11-18-2012, 03:38 PM
Old & Furious

My brother had a turbo truck and went to the track often. One time he ran it started to smoke and power dropped off. We pulled the heads and replaced the gasket wverything looked ok. But it rattle and ran bad and stilll smoked smoked so we pulled the motor since we did take the rod out we didnt realize at first the all four pistons were down. And tunring the crank did not bring them up to the top any more. Turns out he found the tq limit of his factory rods. Bent all four of them at once. Once we puled it all the way down everything was broken bent or burnt. It was amazing how bad it was and still ran ok. It broke off the line and he still made a low 13 second pass. It still made boost and pulled when you drove it. But it was way down on power.

That does not relate to your issue just a problem i had in the past and didnt catch the first time thru. You must be missing something fuel or spark or compression has to be off. Unless the valve seals are just flooding the combustion chambers with oil but i havent seen any thing like that in years. But sitting can cause seals and parts to stick and fail. I can see the cam sticking and stretching the chain a little. But cant see what else will cause actual detonation to occur all of a sudden.

If you were close i would offer to come look at it. LOL
Old 11-18-2012, 04:11 PM

Last photo:

Thanks hcompton appreciate your offer. I do have couple of buddies that are mechanics but they are always busy. After I pull the carb and eliminate my pull the intake just to see if any of the lifters have issues

I guess it is possible the chain has stretched. This is the third engine I have had it in. Although it has less than 30,000 miles. My last 2 stroker motors went right after 10,000 miles. The first one threw the #1 rod. That's when I upgraded the rotating assembly in the second motor. It had the edelbrock cam that was from china and had a cam lobe go flat chew up the lifter and flush it threw the motor.

Bret
Old 11-18-2012, 05:32 PM

(I guess it is possible the chain has stretched. This is the third engine I have had it in. Although it has less than 30,000 miles. My last 2 stroker motors went right after 10,000 miles. The first one threw the #1 rod. That's when I upgraded the rotating assembly in the second motor. It had the edelbrock cam that was from china and had a cam lobe go flat chew up the lifter and flush it threw the motor.)
)
you should post this on all the boards you see asking for "cheap" parts ideas
Old 11-18-2012, 05:43 PM

Last photo:

I didn't know at the time but "Edelbrock" had sourced their cams from some factory in China that didn't build them to specs. They were soft cams and alot of them went flat. Edelbrock did issue refunds and damages but I didn't know about it til later.

Bret

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.