devilbis brand at box store - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2007, 05:21 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

devilbis brand at box store

the compressor has sticker that says 13 scfm it is a 2 stage cost is 829.00
if I were to purchase, What do you think I would be getting.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2007, 05:59 PM
Last photo:

13scfm at what pressure is the key.

Vince
Old 12-16-2007, 07:29 PM
My compass doesn't point North

Last photo:

Look at the motor.

If it's an Emerson Electric Motor (assembled in mexico) and the data Plate says HP, SPL, then its's the same (we'd like you to believe it's) 5HP motor used by all the cheap-crap compressor assemblers.

Compare the size of this motor to the size of a real 5 HP electric motor from Grainger and tell me you think the skimpy little motor on the compressor is actually 5 HP. In fluid power there's a simple formula that is PSI X GPM divided by 1500 that is the general rule for horse power requirements.

When the Big Slox (Yes Paris, I intended it to be a slur of big box and sluts) stores advertise 7.5 peak horse power, it's when no work is being done. If you want a compressor that's rated for a, no-work-being-done situation, why would you need a compressor?
Old 12-16-2007, 09:23 PM

Last photo:

Since you said it is a two stage it probably does have a believable power rating and if that 13 CFM is at 90 PSI, which I think it probably will be, then those figures are about right, they mostly (but not always) play that "peak" power non-sense game on the single stage units. 13 CFM for a two stage compressor in that price range is about right and should be able to meet most small shop needs including a HVLP paint gun and most sanders although some really air hungry tools may work it pretty hard.

"Peak" or "Maximum developed" HP usually refers to the peak power a motor will develop for a few seconds during start up and has no real meaning as to how much power it makes while running. The power rating is not all that important anyway and what you need to be concerned with is that figure you mention, the CFM, because that determines what the compressor will do and 13 CFM is not bad for that price.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:46 AM

Big Box Store?????? I'm on the third compressor from Lowes............I bought their biggest, baddest, most expensive compressor. It said it can handle anything. Last New Year's Eve the second one blew up, just as I started to paint my trailer.
Niether one of the first two lasted a year, and I don't use my compressor that much, maybe one or two weekends a month. Had it not been for the Holiday weekend and the fact it was still under Warranty, I wouldn't have one of theirs now. It was a major dogfight to get them (the manufacturer) to replace it thru Lowes. Lowes assumed no liability after 90 days, just referred me to the manufacturer.
When I replace the current one (and I'm sure it is just a matter of time) I'll do more research and get something that will stand up.
I try and avoid the big box stores anymore for things other that PVC or plywood. I went to John Deere for my new tractor and got the same price as Lowes. I go to Ace hardware for small stuff all the time, and get in and out with the right stuff fast.
Sorry for the rant!
Old 12-17-2007, 12:37 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterwivell
get something that will stand up.

Then get a Quincy and be prepared to use it for MANY years!
Old 12-17-2007, 07:24 PM

Last photo:

Repairs and upgrades

I bought a Campbell-Hausfeld single stage 60 gallon at Lowes several years ago. I put that thing to work hard many times over the years. It has lasted well, served well, and did everything I asked of it so far.

I have changed the oil in it twice now and mixed in some synthetic along with the compressor oil. Maybe that helped?

However, if and when the compressor part of it goes out, I think I'll look for replacement parts from Eaton. I wonder if I can convert it to a two-stage?

Now if I could figure out a reasonable priced way to reduce humidity. Dang mid-west humidity means I have to empty water out of the tank after a short time. I have one Sears in-line water filter, that MAY help SOME, but in no way does it get all of the water out of the line. Besides, I'd really like to stop it BEFORE it gets into the tank ....and no I don't want to spend big bucks on an A/C unit. This is a hobby.

Steve
Old 12-18-2007, 02:22 AM
Crazy Ole Ironhead

Last photo:

Ive had a Porter-Cable 60 gallon for 6 years I bought at Lowes and put it though hell with no problems,it has painted several cars,trucks,trailers and tractors with HVLP's,ran all types of air tools, etc.
I also put synthetic oil in mine,on top of that when i run it in the south east Georgia "Oven Summers" I put a cheap box fan blowing directly on the motor and compressor to help cool it down a bit.
I'm going to be buying another one soon,and this time I'm gonna pay the money for one to handle more CFM because mine does "OK" painting with HVLP's but cuts it close spraying each coat,if i remember right its only 11 CFM @ 90PSI.
As far as trying to keep humidity out of the tank itself that is real hard to do because of the heat generated from the air pressure inside it,I have a heavy duty industrial type BIG water sperator a guy gave me at a Paper Plant I work alot that is what they use on their Plant Air lines for some of the equipment thats sensitive to moisture,I'm gonna hard line it in between my compressor pump and tank to see if it helps any but im thinking most of the moisture condensates inside the tank itself because thats where all the heat is generated at,its worth a try anyhow...

I have a question that ive never seen here yet,why dont they make stainless steel tanks?..seems to me that would be the caddilac of tanks since no worries of them rusting out?.
John
Old 12-18-2007, 03:47 AM
Lost in the 50s!

Last journal entry: time to start body work
Last photo:

I have a 60 gallon (upright) black max 220V air compressor that I have had for many years now. So for no issues with it. As I understand it the Black Max line was made by sanborn.

It is ok, but I wish it were 2 stage. I do not know the HP or CFM ratings on it. I need to look again.

They sold out to coleman and are no longer made.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:28 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuthnCustoms
why dont they make stainless steel tanks?..seems to me that would be the caddilac of tanks since no worries of them rusting out?.
John
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

Unless the pump/motor is mounted remotely a good distance from the tank (not a bad idea at all) it is impossible to prevent water from condensing inside the tank and it needs to be drained daily to prevent water build up. A properly designed air line system is the solution (it works! ) to the water in the lines problem and this has been covered many times here.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:11 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterwivell
I try and avoid the big box stores anymore for things other that PVC or plywood. !
Funny you mention that.
I have a wood shop and use oak and birch veneer plywood that I
use to buy at the big box stores, not anymore!
They all are getting Chineese ply now and the top veneer is so thin
that you can't sand it without going through.
I guess that leaves only PVC to buy there now-LOL
Old 12-18-2007, 08:20 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I still get my construction grade wood at Lowe's but any fancy stuff comes from a local lumber yard - and has the big prices to go with the quality. Even they are starting to get some crap veneers so you have to look. There is so little that I'll buy at the big box stores that I still have almost $60 worth of gift cards left from last Xmas even after I just spent a bunch the other day just to start using them up - I know there will be more coming. Black & Decker, while never (in the last 20 years, anyhow) have never been a great tool, but the junk Lowe's is now selling says Hecho en Chine - a bit deceptive.

My compressor is actually an I-R tho it says Charge Aire from Lowe's. It was a special order after the previous one blew up - 13 cfm @ 40/10.5@90. So far, 6 years, it still works fine. If it lasts half as long as my 1972 1Hp Craftsman, I'll be happy. The old clunker has a 1Hp motor that is physically bigger then the 5Hp (6.5 peak??) on the new and will probably run on something long after the compressor dies as long as it can be plugged in somewhere. Someday, I'll get a 'real' compressor

Dave
Old 12-18-2007, 08:23 AM

Last photo:

I bought the Kobalt 2 stage from Lowes about three years ago and it's still running fine. There was one period that I did use it a lot but most of the time it doesn't run very often. I would rather have had one of the top notch compressors but couldn't justify the extra money no more than I use one.

Danny
Old 12-18-2007, 12:15 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

I'm at work right now, but do a search for "air compressor class action lawsuit" Then read thru some of that. You'll be surprised at who manufacturs what. There are only about three manufacturers for the "big box store" compressors but there is a multitude of different names. And when it boils down to it, what the lawsuit is about is what the companies advertise what you are getting vs. what you actually get. The CLA is older and over with, but the reading gives you an idea as to what type of compressor to get. Bottom line. Almost all are mainly made in China
Old 12-19-2007, 09:42 AM
Crazy Ole Ironhead

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

Unless the pump/motor is mounted remotely a good distance from the tank (not a bad idea at all) it is impossible to prevent water from condensing inside the tank and it needs to be drained daily to prevent water build up. A properly designed air line system is the solution (it works! ) to the water in the lines problem and this has been covered many times here.
I can get my hands on a few stainless tanks on a few jobs i work alot,think i may have to go buy a 2 stage setup and give the stainless tank a whirl n see what happens.

I take what your saying is to keep the pump and motor seperated from the tank on a frame and maybe run hardlines from the pump to the tank with filters in between?..am i right?..John

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.