Hot Rod Forum banner

devilbiss finishline or sharpe finex?

44K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  mikeweb 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

Quick question, I can pick up a set of DeVilbiss finishline HVLP guns for the same price as a sharpe finex. (my friend can get me cost as he works for napa). Finex is $97cdn while the Finishline is $105cdn

Which gun(s) is the best? I'll be using it for painting small things. I realize that my compressor will be running alot as its small (20gal, 7.4@40psi, 5.7@90psi), but i wont be painting a whole car, ect.. so i can somewhat live with it.

Should I end up getting the Finishline kit (includes 2 guns w/ 1.4 and 1.8) or get the Finex and get a larger tip/needle set for primer?

Finishline Kit Contains:

NOTE: I heard that there are no rebuild parts are available for this gun. Is this a major thing that I need to worry about? I would only be using it a few times per year. Hopefully these guns are reliable.

1 Full Size FINISHLINE HVLP Gravity Feed Paint Spray Gun with a 1.3mm (Finish Coat) Fluid Tip and a 600cc (20 oz.) Plastic Cup. This 1.3mm set-up is ideal for the Atomization of Basecoats, Clear Coats, and other Light Viscosity Coatings. Spray Gun Specifications: 30 PSI inlet pressure delivers 10 PSI air cap pressure at 13 CFM air volume.
1 Full Size FINISHLINE HVLP Gravity Feed Paint Spray Gun with a 1.8mm (Priming) Fluid Tip and a 600cc (20 oz.) Plastic Cup. This 1.8mm set-up is ideal for the Atomization of Primers, Sealers, Thinned Latex/Oil Base, and other Medium to Heavy Viscosity Coatings. Spray Gun Specifications: 30 PSI inlet pressure delivers 10 PSI air cap pressure at 13 CFM air volume.

Also Includes:

* 1 Gun Cleaning Brush Set
* 1 Gun Maintenance Wrench
* 1 Blow-Molded Storage and Carrying Case.

FX300 HVLP Spray Gun - 1.4mm

Sharpe SHP248756 - FX300 HVLP Spray Gun - 1.4mm

* Well-balanced and lightweight for reduced painter fatigue.
* High-end features at an affordable price.
* Parts for all spray guns readily available - repair instead of replace and extend the life of the spray gun.
* Includes durable, aluminum cup.
* One year limited warranty on all Finex products.
* Fluid Tip Size: 1.4mm.
* Air Consumption: 11.4 cfm
* Max Inlet HVLP psi: 29
* Weight: 24 oz.
* Air Inlet MPT: 1/4"

See less See more
#2 ·
I have both guns. The FL3 that I have is with all of the nozzles and with the aluminum cup. While it does a credible job, I do like the Sharpe Finex better.

The FL3 is Chinese made, and supposedly no full rebuild kits available. I'm not sure I believe that, but time will tell whether DeVillbiss will support this gun

The Sharpe is supposedly US made and there is good support. It does a much nicer job for me then the FL3 and for less money.

If you are considering a budget gun, why not consider an Astro - most painters seem to like this one over either the FL3 or the Finex though I do not have first hand knowledge.

I'll eventually sell the Finex as I just blew a big part of the pension check for an Iwata LPH400. The FL3 with all the nozzles will be kept for a primer gun.

#5 ·
its best to have 2 guns at least. every shop i have worked at the painter has about 5 or 6 guns. my boss right now has one for etch, one for primer, two for base, two for clear. i have used 2 guns to do a full paint job start to finish. but i would recomend using 2 rather then one.

Mike

#6 ·
Don't know why someone has not said this already but none of those guns will work with that compressor. That thing is for pumping up tires and is woefully inadequate for a HVLP paint gun. If you insist on using that tiny compressor you will need a low volume conventional gun, even that is going to be tough going, because any of the guns you mention will drain that little compressor in a matter of seconds, you can not spray paint when you run out of air.

#8 ·
Something like that Astro may get him by ok but with one of those HVLP guns it will simply not work for more than a few seconds. I know some may say that it can be done but just because it is still squirting paint does not mean it is working, you need enough air volume or that is exactly what you do- squirt paint instead of spray paint! It is not just a matter of the compressor running a lot, it will run continuously and STILL run out of air in short order.

#10 ·
Mike, With the HVLP guns you need to use larger fittings to get enough air flow with even the proper compressor in order to make them work properly, at least on the air hogs. Some of the better HVLP guns such as the IWATA will use less air but still way too much for a compressor that small. There are several low volume guns that will work that do an excellent job, I have not used that Astro myself but I have heard some good things about it and it will not use nearly as much air as the guns you are looking at.

FWIW, I have one of those Finex 300 guns that I picked up at a yard sale a while back and I am not very impressed with it. I asked about that thing here back when I got it because the pattern was way too narrow and I wanted to know if this is normal, seems that it is.

#11 ·
If your just painting "small things", Get a good touch up gun like a Iwata LPH-80 or 100 with a 1.0 or 1.2 nozzle. Or even an older Sata Minijet 3.
Either will do a great job and not use anywhere close to the air a full size gun does. You'll have to reduce your primer some and allow for more coats to build equally but hey, It's a answer.

#12 · (Edited)
Well what I mean by small is a grill, trunk lid, ect.. Id also use it around the house for painting furniture, ect.

I heard that the Astro guns are Single stage (fluid only) trigger squeeze. While other guns are Duel trigger which allows air to be dispensed (without fluid) with the first stage of the trigger squeeze. Is this true?

I heard that the Astro is a clone of Sata's guns

Hopefully I can get a good paint job with a lvlp gun

#13 ·
I bought the finex gun for primer. It sprays nice but built crappy. The solvents from the paint and gun cleaner will soon destroy the O-rings in the gun. I had to rebuild mine within a two month time frame.

Ive used astro guns and for the money they are nice guns. Much rather buy an astro then the finex...Eric

#14 ·
Well, I've been looking for an Astro dealer around my area with no luck. I'd love to purchase it through one of those US based sites but customs, shipping, ect.. will kill me.

Anyone know where I can purchase an Astro gun in canada (Toronto/Mississauga area)?

Any other guns that you guys can recommend incase I cant find an Astro?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.