Devilbiss GFG-670 Plus vs Iwata LPH-400? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2006, 05:55 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

i bought the iwata's to shoot clear or base. i dont have a clear only gun. the lph 400 or 100 do great for either. they lay clear better than any of the guns i tried.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2006, 10:27 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

Yup, It's a really amazing gun. I got mine specifically for clear and run a 1.3 and it will transfer as well as ANY other gun with a 1.4.
It's just not "natural" to spray at 14-18 PSI. It's QUIET,O'spray is almost non existent, and then you get the LVB basecoat air cap and your spraying at 8-10 PSI, REALLY weird.

Look, Your needing a good gun,cheap,that will do several types of paint.
Get the D.
IF you plan on keeping at this,Get an Iwata for base/clear and a cheap siphon gun which generally comes with a 2.0 for primer.

Hell, Get them BOTH.

Man can't have too many guns of ANY sort. Hehehe.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:57 AM

Last photo:

mr shine..

please stop talking about iwata spray gun...I am dreaming to
buy one like yours...so far i got sata rp digital 2 its great
gun for clear coat..i put on 2.5 bar close my eyes and spray
but i am going to buy iwata lph lv-b but it is not available
here... so do you recommend lph 400 for base coat???
what pressure do you use for base coat with your iwata?

can i exchange my gun with your iwata

ive got binks bbr conventional.. but i stopped using it..
after i bought hvlp spray gun's

also i got minijet sata hvlp..waw so great gun 1.0 nozzle
for painting bikes and custom painting..

ga
Old 05-09-2006, 05:09 AM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

i'm still learning with the lph 400. i am lowering air pressure and slightly reducing the clear . this gun will lay it on like my old jga did in the 80's before high solids. i have always been a fan of develbiss guns. i own a box full. but the iwata caught my eye and i was intrigued by the claims so i tried one. the tulip pattern is what really sold me. no dry overspray kicked out at the edge and dry spots dont exist. i do a lot less painting than you guys now days but people still except the same work as i did in my youth. this gun helps me do that. to be fair i did not try the new develbis guns . seeing gun sets for 100 bucks just turned me away from them. kinda like they went walmart or something. if you don't mind sanding and buffing you can put it on with a roller i'm spoiled now. blasting booth , nice brite spraybooth and new guns. best of all i walk to work now.

ga, go to asetusa.com . Hub will help you get a gun.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:40 AM

You can't compare the Devilbiss Plus with that two gun kit that they started selling recently. The Plus is a professional quality gun made in the USA and IMO one of the top three sprayguns available.
The $100 two gun kit is probably something they buy from a Chinese manufacturer and put a Devilbiss sticker on it to compete with the low end market.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:35 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcway
You can't compare the Devilbiss Plus with that two gun kit that they started selling recently. The Plus is a professional quality gun made in the USA and IMO one of the top three sprayguns available.
The $100 two gun kit is probably something they buy from a Chinese manufacturer and put a Devilbiss sticker on it to compete with the low end market.
I stand corrected , hate it when that happens. I checked out the plus, and it does look like a quality gun, but I think when I'm ready to get a high quality gun it will be the Iwata. I have been oogling one at my PPG jobber everytime I go in and buy paint.

Vince
Old 05-09-2006, 10:15 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for all the info guys!!!

Well I spent a lot of time thinking about this last night and I made my decision. I went ahead and bought the Devil.

Like you guys said, I have a lot to learn in the ways of spraying until I achieve a very high quality job. I think the Devil will be a great gun to learn with and it is a huge plus that it comes with the several tips. Maybe one day I will invest in an Iwata to just spray clear. But I think the Devil will do the job of spraying both the base and clear.

I'll keep my HF gun for spraying epoxy and am looking to buy the 2.0 tip for it to spray the 2K better. I'll also keep my eyes peeled for a spot repair gun. I think I will stay away from the FINEX based on the recommendation above. I'll save up for one of them in the future.

Thanks again,

Kevin
Old 05-09-2006, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302/Z28
I stand corrected , hate it when that happens. I checked out the plus, and it does look like a quality gun, but I think when I'm ready to get a high quality gun it will be the Iwata. I have been oogling one at my PPG jobber everytime I go in and buy paint.

Vince
I have both guns and like both of them. The Iwata is just so different (in a good way ) I sometimes find myself spraying the way I would with a regular HVLP, but when I force myself to use it the right way it works perfectly. Painting isn't my regular job so I don't get alot of practice.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:06 PM
X711

Last photo:

I was talking to a local jobber today to arrange a demo of the Iwata LPH-400LV with a 1.4 tip to try out.

I kind of like the idea that I may be able to minimize over spray with it so hence the demo. Talking with the jobber they told me that the pink cap thats available for the gun was brought out because the lv4 cap sprayed base too good, is that BS I wonder or is the atomization really that good out of the LV4 cap.

My intended use is clear and SS from time to time. Price for the gun is in the
low $400 range, can any of you recommend any dealer with more competitive
pricing.

BTW Starquest the gfg-670 plus gun will serve you very well

Thanks guys ><
Old 10-14-2006, 09:39 AM

Hi,

i hope i can help all of you a little bit out of the jungle

Im a professional painter and i owner of a paint shop, we also make car repair for ferrari and mercedes.

So i know which gun will give you good results :-)

Devil GFG-670 is a good gun but the problem is devil use 1 needle for different tips that is bull****, and we only use this gun for the clear coat if we need the same bad structure like on new mercedes after we replaced a door for example :-)

Iwata is a very good gun but you need to have practise with hvlp guns and you need to be a very good painter if you will use an iwata cause it has very high transfer rate and very big material aerosoles.

The last model is a Sata Gun its a german product and is used bye all big automotive companys like daimler, gmc, mercedes...

We also use these Guns and i can tell you forget about devil and iwata take Sata :-)

Sata Jet 2000/3000 HVLP (tip size 1,3 for Clearcoat and 1,2 for Basecoat)

optional you will get the digital air control but its only useful if you have a paintshop and you have to get 100% the same color than the rest of the car after repair ( cause of air pressure you can easy make 100 variants from 1 base color ).

btw: devilbiss is defenetly not made in china its made in england i where there 2 times to bye custom guns....

I hope i helped some of you if someone has questions you can ask me this is my icq number : 323-213-103
Old 10-14-2006, 09:50 AM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

there is no comparison between develbiss and iwata or sata. it has become the walmart of guns. the reason i chose iwata is because changing fluid tips is simple as is the lvb air cap for metallics. the sata has them in sets only $$. i have the lph400 with 1.3 and 1.4 tips and both lv and lvb air caps. one gun that will shoot anything.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:56 AM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

just a note. if your a new painter and buying a lower line gun to learn with you may want to rethink it. i've been at this for 35 years. when i bought the iwata's i had to relearn to shoot with it. i would suggest starting with the very best gun you can get. you will only get better with time.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:20 PM

I am not going to suggest which way to go on a gun but I have to make mention the the devil has 3 gun lines. The cheapo startingline gun kit (the $100,00 2 gun special) These guns are not rebuildable according to devil. Then you move up from there to the finishline III hvlp guns. (I recently tried the 653 hvlp gun and my old finishline II hvlp lays clear down nicer (same tip size btw) then you move up the the gti,and gfg series.

I have also recently tried the Iwata gun for clear and the gun will lay it down nice and slick but you have to slow down (alot for me). I am not a slow sprayer so the iwata is not to my taste. I decided on the sata gun and sofar for me it is the right mix. Its the tip and needle costs that will break the bank. lol
I still might weaken and get the gfg-670 devil gun for x mas as my knock around gun and put my old finishline II on the shelf.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:53 PM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

cc i here you. i shot my clear with a jga on a binks 2 qrt pressure pot for 30 years . i had to hold a gun on myself to slow down. but it's getting better. the iwata just lays it down slick with out having to pile it on. i tried the develbiss guns but the sata and the iwata are just superior guns i think. i'm getting old and lazy so i need all the help i can get. the needle kit was the deciding factor with me. i have 1 gun ,2 tips and 2 caps. i have to admit i'm getting a little spoiled. the lph100 with the sidewinder cup is a neat little gun too. i cut in with it.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:15 AM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:

Im with Bob and Shine.. I have never seen a gun perform so well out of the box... Iwata LPH 400... you cant go wrong with that purchase.. I also have the GTI and it sets in my cabinet, never gets used.. No comparison at all

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.