Devilbiss qc3 dryer/filter pressure - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2011, 05:40 PM

Last journal entry: Project 92' Eddie
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Devilbiss qc3 dryer/filter pressure

if the regulator at my hvlp gun is to be set at 23psi, what should I set the regulator on my qc3 dryer for? Getting ready to primer a practice panel in the morning

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2011, 12:46 PM

regulator

adjust the regulator down at the wall so there isnt so much pressure going to the regulator at the gun. Too much pressure will shorten the life of the regulator on the gun.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:01 PM

Last photo:

The regulator at the wall should be at 125. You want the highest volume of air to the gun you can. The regulator at the gun will adjust the pressure so ur gun will use that high volume of air properly.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:24 AM

JF, that is just complete nonsense. There is no need to have 125 lbs going to your gun when you only need 20-30. That's just bad information and detrimental to his equipment.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:34 AM

Last journal entry: Project 92' Eddie
Last photo:

I ended up setting it at about 45, and everything worked like a charm. Thanks for the input everyone
Old 08-12-2011, 08:37 AM

Last photo:

PPG - I'm not an expert on this just going off of what I understood. Which is that you need to get the maximum amount of air to the gun to ensure you have enough volume to properly atomize the paint. The regulator at the gun will allow you to control vpressure at the gungun. If you start cutting the flow at the wall the restrictions of the hose will hamper the flow even more so that it cuts down on the volume hindering atomization.

Also your pressure is supposed to set with the trigger pulled. Would you set the wall at 45 with the trigger pulled and then set the gun regulator after that fact?

If my understanding of this is wrong please let me know. I'm hear to learn and try and help when I can.

I also looked at it like this, regulators are cheap compared to paint so if it needs replaced after awhile no big deal.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:07 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppgguy
JF, that is just complete nonsense. There is no need to have 125 lbs going to your gun when you only need 20-30. That's just bad information and detrimental to his equipment.

Sounds like you have never painted with an HVLP before or your idea of a good job is way different then mine.

I have three of the same compressors on different system
first on is at home 12 year old set at 175 been that way since day one.

The other system is 4 years old and set at 145, the other system is 3 years old and set at 155.

When damage occurs I will let you know. since all three have about total $5,000 of filter systems on them. DUH!
Old 08-12-2011, 09:57 AM

Technically, he should be using a true diaphram regulator not a cheater valve at the gun. A diaphram regulator will compensate for pressure drop at the time of trigger pull so the pressure stays even thoughout the whole trigger cycle. I think that 45-60 lbs is plenty of air to the gun. Now obviosly, if you have 100ft of hose, you must take in considderation for pressure drop because of the length of hose. A valve type regulator will definitely restrict the flow of air and not allow for true High Volume Low Pressure. I've sold alot of HVLP spray guns and the number one bonehead move that guys do is attach it to a regular plug/coupler instead of buying HVLP Plug/Couplers.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK
Sounds like you have never painted with an HVLP before or your idea of a good job is way different then mine.

I have three of the same compressors on different system
first on is at home 12 year old set at 175 been that way since day one.

The other system is 4 years old and set at 145, the other system is 3 years old and set at 155.

When damage occurs I will let you know. since all three have about total $5,000 of filter systems on them. DUH!
Barry, So what your saying is that you have 175lbs going directly to your gun?
Old 08-12-2011, 10:11 AM

Last photo:

To a regulator at the gun, it don't matter, you attacked Vince the other day and you should know half as much as he does and it is obvious you work a counter and know nothing about scfm, hvlps or filter systems or painting.

Leave me out of it and give all the bad advice you want and sell aero spray cans.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:33 AM

I didn't attack anyone. its just bad info. How does running 175lbs to your gun and then regulating down to 20-30 make any sense?! Its completely unnecessary and can blow a regulator (a real regulator not a valve). The problem was that he acted like it was absolutely critical to run at that pressure because of air flow. Well, if you regulate it down so much, where's the air flow (especially with a standard plug)? Furthermore, now you've just made every tiny turn of the knob a huge, uncontrollable amount of air pressure change. The originator of the thread even turned it down to 45psi and said it worked perfectly, so whats your point? Sure, leaving it at 175psi will work but your totally missing the point. It's just unnecessary. Those spray cans are ideal for people who want to use 2k but don't want to dirty the gun and mix more product. So, you've also brought nothing to the table in this conversation and you can blow that "Counter-guy" stuff out your air cap.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:17 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Enough is enough guys..What the Op needs to do is have his regulator at the wall adjusted so he gets plenty of good air to the gun and then do his final tuning of air pressure and fluid flow to get the material he is using to lay down wet and slick and work with that until he has no orange peel and the runs are minimal. takes some practice with a particular setup to get their.

myself i run 100-125 psi at the wall and tune at the gun..works for me and I have not blown anything up..

Sam
Old 08-30-2011, 06:07 PM

Comment on Devilbiss QC3 dryer/filter

Hi,
Just a quick comment on the QC3 dryer/filter. When I got mine, the filter element was not installed correctly. When I opened it up to replace the element, it was laying in the bottom of the unit..
Other than that it seems to work pretty well.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.