Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Dewalt Dry cut metal chop saw review (hint: you'll kick yourself)
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011, 05:20 PM
... & Insanity Ensues .....

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Dewalt Dry cut metal chop saw review (hint: you'll kick yourself)

This saw is pure trash. Save yourself $400 and get a craftsman abrasive chop saw.

The base is stamped sheet metal, and as such its got the dimensional accuracy of your average cake pan. Would you use a cake pan as the starting for an industrial saw? Didn't think so. Lay a straight tube in the vise and it rocks side to side

The backstop has to be slid forward to do 3" or smaller tubing, and there is NOTHING to keep the backstop square. the lil angle gaige tells you NOTHING because the slider has so much slack the backstop also moves left and right when its unlocked.

You wind up having to set the back stop angle using a protractor against the blade

And then when you make a cut, the blade takes a meandering path through the material. The blade moves almost an 1/8 to the right by the time your finishing your cut.

And the story about how nice the cuts look and how theres no burr, blants lies. There is NOTHING about this saw i find to be worth $500. Every cut i made with it made me want to wrap a chain around it and use it as a mace while standing on the table at a Dewalt corporate meeting.

If your considering this saw, i suggest you take a step up in quality and instead find a goat that likes chewing on tin cans, you'll get a better cut.