Hot Rod Forum banner

Diagnose my 700R4, lost 3rd and 4th ?

4K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Steven's 72 
#1 ·
461 Big Block 700R4 Tranny with about 3 seasons on it..

I am going to a local car show and enjoying the ride. I got on it a few times no issues... Now I am doing about 45 and I get on it, and I see a small cloud of smoke, burning smell (like oil) then my RPMS shoot up... Pull over, I have 1st and 2nd, no 3rd and of course no overdrive, what did I break?

Thanks guys in Advance for the comments......

#3 ·
I agree 3-4 clutch pack is a goner a full overhaul is on the menu now,TV cable adjustment is critical on GM and Ford overdrives.If you used the LOKAR TV cable KD-2700 and bracket SRK-4000 the bracket is only held down by one Carb stud they will work loose and change the throttle pressure (BAD design) in any case something has probably caused that adjustment to change and fried the transmission.You might want to consider this upgrade into the rebuild:1987-92 GM 700R4 Constant Pressure Valve Body

#7 ·
Your bracket looks fail-safe, these O.D. transmissions should always be set using a pressure gauge for positive results. Excessive heat is also a common culprit, the stack type transmission coolers that B&M and others offer is cheap insurance and a "must have" for performance or towing applications.

#10 ·
possible the torque and heavy foot can hurt the trans quickly if the trans is not build properly and TV cable not set correct ..

also remember this design trans has been burning up the 3-4 clutch pack since 1982. You are not special in this failure

#11 ·
Pulled the pan today and found the following:

Appears to be like Gasket like material

Metal

Now I was also told over on Team Chevelle it's a possibiliy the Gear on the Governor could have caused this issue as well. I will be pulling the governor today, any thoughts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.