Diagnosing oil use bad on sbc - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2013, 08:36 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWENUTS View Post
Awesome!!
Try the 4 dollar (a gallon of gas)no tools test.
Get your bro' to follow you down the road. Find a road with a steep hill on it.
Going down back off on the loud pedal and if it's smokin' blue out the pipes it's bad guides. Going up the hill if it's pushing blue it's bad rings.
I'm not being a wisea---s. Just old guy field tests before you spend the money in the wrong place.
Also he(bro) is broke and this is why I wanna pin point if I can to save moneys if possible,lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2013, 08:41 AM

Last photo:

Another cheap test!
Replace your pcv hose with a clear one and see if you're pulling a little oil into the motor that way.
Hardware stores have some.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:44 AM
Wrench Turner

Last photo:

Bad valve seals can let a lot of oil thru w/o necessarily causing noticeable smoke from the drivers seat.Smoking @ startup is a good indicator of seals/guides.On a small intake leak,the oil being pulled thru is actually providing a seal that will mask the effects of the leak.Some will say BS on that,but,I have seen it.The amount your using tho,IMO,would point to seals/guides.Again,your plugs condition can confirm this as well.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:13 AM

Last photo:

Yeah when I get back home in a wk I will check all out, just hoping its not rings,but I can rabbit hone and do new rings I guess,then again valve guides can cost more so....Is there a good way to check valve guides different then what I use to do is just feel how loose/play side to side there is in valve or should I do something better? I know I can mic the valves but how to check guides?
Old 10-12-2013, 09:31 AM
Wrench Turner

Last photo:

Side to side play is the best way.Preferably with a dial indicator.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:40 AM

Last photo:

well got home and started to do some tests last night.All but 2 cylinders are very ash fouled with lots of deposits on plugs.compression test was good so on to checking valve guides/seals.I did check my valve covers for baffels and they are there,will do clear hose thing and try later.Will keep updating and anyone have any ideas or comments please feel free..
Old 11-06-2013, 02:00 AM

Last photo:

Update

Well pulled the heads and this is what I got.Tips of valves are wore and smashed,cant get sum out even though I just pulled two springs off.Now how do you tell if its machined for newer style unbrella posi seals or do I just find seals like that to fit or do I need to get it machined to fit them?Also what caused the wear on valves,why and how?I didnt mic or measure movement on valves other then feel and they feel loose side to side.Im thinking guides need be fixing and valves?Exhaust ports were rich looking but dry but intake ports were damp/wet with oil with more deposits on valves then exhaust but had sum.What do you guys all think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0535.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	980.6 KB
ID:	96321  
Old 11-06-2013, 03:10 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqeezeit View Post
Well pulled the heads and this is what I got.Tips of valves are wore and smashed,cant get sum out even though I just pulled two springs off.Now how do you tell if its machined for newer style unbrella posi seals or do I just find seals like that to fit or do I need to get it machined to fit them?Also what caused the wear on valves,why and how?I didnt mic or measure movement on valves other then feel and they feel loose side to side.Im thinking guides need be fixing and valves?Exhaust ports were rich looking but dry but intake ports were damp/wet with oil with more deposits on valves then exhaust but had sum.What do you guys all think?
You're going to have to consider that the cam has failed. That kind of a pounding on the valve stems is a strong indicator. You're going to have to pull some, if not all, the lifters to take a look at their bottom sides. If they are worn, you can bet the matching cam lobe is gone also.

Don't drive the mushroomed stems out, dress the edges first so they will slide out otherwise you may just make another problem with the valve guides that doesn't yet exist.

Bogie
Old 11-06-2013, 05:29 PM
More for Less Racer

What type intake gasket and intake? The Fel-Pro "Permatorque Blue" intake gasket for stock iron intake applications has the wrong compressibility for use with aluminum intakes and will frequently leak oil, use "Print-o-Seal" gasket with aluminum. If ports feel oily film, it's leaking....or PCV line is pulling oil.

What valve seal was presently used?

Looks like maybe a clearance problem between top of guide and the seal, and the bottom of spring retainer may have caused binding, to hammer the valve tips like this, .....or valve float will also show tips mashed like that, spring not correct for cam spec, too much rpm for current spring or idiot driver running engine well into valve float.

Real loose guide to valve stem clearance will also do same to tips.

Valve job needed regardless now with tips like that.
The Following User Says Thank You to ericnova72 For This Useful Post:
sqeezeit (11-11-2013)
Old 11-07-2013, 03:10 PM

Last photo:

If u look at pic it's old style Oring seals for valve, I'm not sure yet if it's a roller cam or not but valves that I did check seemed adjusted right at 3/4 turn from zero lash. The intake ports were all dry but rich looking and had felpro blue paper gasket, not sure on number and looked like good seal on all areas.when get home again will pull lifters and look but if looks good I'm I assuming valve float from high rpm or bad weak or set up wrong springs, even though since we had vehicle never over reved engine. I did find papers on rebuild in 96 and valve seals redone in 06.

Last edited by sqeezeit; 11-07-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:19 PM

Last photo:

P.S I'm sure it's not a roller cam but feel stupid I didn't even pay attention on it as was in a hurry.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:43 AM

Last photo:

Anyone else have any insight on what caused this? Also any recommended ideas for repairs or is it better to get sum better heads since Iam at this point now vs fixing these.Meaning are there better cheap,stock heads to use rather then these or do I just fix?Thanks again
Old 11-11-2013, 12:46 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72 View Post
What type intake gasket and intake? The Fel-Pro "Permatorque Blue" intake gasket for stock iron intake applications has the wrong compressibility for use with aluminum intakes and will frequently leak oil, use "Print-o-Seal" gasket with aluminum. If ports feel oily film, it's leaking....or PCV line is pulling oil.

What valve seal was presently used?

Looks like maybe a clearance problem between top of guide and the seal, and the bottom of spring retainer may have caused binding, to hammer the valve tips like this, .....or valve float will also show tips mashed like that, spring not correct for cam spec, too much rpm for current spring or idiot driver running engine well into valve float.

Real loose guide to valve stem clearance will also do same to tips.

Valve job needed regardless now with tips like that.
Sorry for late reply,but just noticed the other pic I had didnt load.It has the old oring style seals,and not sure how they even work,cuz seal is up in groove high by keeper and most of steam of valve is open to oil so how do these keep oil out?
Old 11-11-2013, 01:32 AM
Living In The Past

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqeezeit View Post
I was thinking this also but have never seen it, but anythings possible. With a small use I would think maybe but dam with that much oil use a guy would think it would run like shiz also
Don't be fooled. Mine was using as much oil as yours and still ran like a raped ape. I'm still sorting mine as we speak. Just got new correct seals a couple of day ago. Guide seals appear to be the culprit with mine at this stage.
I'll be posting my results in another current thread in due course.

"Tips of valves are worn and smashed " that doesn't sound good.

"intake ports were damp/wet with oil" ...Mmmm? PCV??

Duke
Old 11-11-2013, 06:04 AM

Last photo:

Yeah I kinda know sum of the culprits possible for damage n oil use like the guides n seals bad but when I saw the wear on valve tips got me wondering like weak springs , bad lifters but never made any noise? Just looking for best reason for this from guys that do it more often and/or seen it before ect...

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.