Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Diagnostic Scanner Question???
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 01:24 AM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

'Scuse me a minute for going off-topic, but I'm in full grouch mode: That old rotten potato, "you get what you pay for", gets rolled out for every discussion from tools to toys. It needs to be taken out and buried.

Price is rarely a good indicator of quality or value; it's almost always an excellent indicator of the target market's tolerance. Global manufacturing, rebranding, market conditioning, psycho-marketing, planned obsolescence and the omni-present "caveat emptor" are some of the forces that can easily render quality insignificant in the setting of a price.

Even when there is very stiff competition for a given product or service, there will be those who emulate the best of class, including price, but fail to deliver similar value. Note that the condition of vigorous competition is exactly the situation in which the production cost should be a major factor in determining price and therefore be most likely to yield a price tied to value. Still, marketing or production efficiency may each decouple price from value.

All other variables being equal, price should indicate value. The trouble is that all other variables are never equal.

What's the price of gasoline today? How much is the hotrodders.com "Knowledge Base" worth? Is a car sold the day before a rebate program begins of better value than one sold after?

Ok. I'm done ranting now. Gotta go find the highest priced transmission fluid out there. Don't want to be stuck with that low quality stuff.