Diagnostic Tools - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2008, 11:42 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernkazern
1931steve, did you ever try a Snap On Modis? They're about the same money as a Mastertech and the updates are less. I have both and think the Snap On is a lot more useful. The exception being the Mastertech is the OEM scan tool for Toyota's to 2007 and Honda's up to 2003, so it excels for those applications. You should try a Modis if you have a chance to, I'll think you'll like it.
I have had the Modis, but did not like it. Too much fluff in it. I liked the Master Tech at the time because I could flash GM's. Now with the pass through tools out, that function is no longer needed (the flash capabilities that is).

I likes the OTC Genesys/Determinator much better than the Modis. Just MHO.

Steve

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2008, 11:50 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

You guys are using tools I can only dream about!
Old 07-22-2008, 11:57 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
You guys are using tools I can only dream about!
These are just the generic tools, I want to get into each of the OEM tools. Big bucks$$$

Steve
Old 07-22-2008, 12:51 PM

Once you start using OEM tools you'll wonder why you didn't try them sooner. In the last couple years I've purchased a Mastertech with Toyota and Honda software, a Tech2 for GM, and the IDS for Ford. What are you using to reprogram PCM's now? I'm still learning about reprogramming and looking into what I'll need for the vehicles that aren't covered by the OEM scan tools I already own.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:31 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 steve
I have had the Modis, but did not like it. Too much fluff in it. I liked the Master Tech at the time because I could flash GM's. Now with the pass through tools out, that function is no longer needed (the flash capabilities that is).

I likes the OTC Genesys/Determinator much better than the Modis. Just MHO.

Steve
I prefer the Genesis over the Modis too.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:44 PM

Last photo:

x2 for the Genysis. If you get a remanufactured one you can get one with the smart cable and all the old cables to use on 80 to present with all the goodies for about 1000 dollars, money well spent. It's way better than a code reader. Way more diagnostic capabilities. Upgradeable to use on nearly every vehicle including semi tractors and other heavy duty engines. ABS and airbag systems capability and diesel J-tech infotech and many more options come standard on the reman. kit.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:22 PM

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I find the Genysis to be a decent scan tool for basic diagnostics on Domestic vehicles. But I can't believe how slow it is, almost to the point of being useless, on most European and Asian vehicles. It is relatively cheap and easy to use though. Also the Genysis makes a very good chock block so you're car won't roll away on a hill.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:28 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Also the Genysis makes a very good chock block so you're car won't roll away on a hill.
OUCH!!!

Steve
Old 07-22-2008, 06:15 PM

LOL.......party on Steve
Old 07-22-2008, 06:23 PM

software

So what is the link to the PC software? I have a laptop so a snap-on or any other is only giving me another computer.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:34 PM

SS396I said he was looking for a hand held scan tool, not software for a laptop.
The Ford IDS is software for a laptop. It's a great program, but only covers Ford, Mercury, Lincoln, Mazda, Jaguar, and some Land Rovers. AE, AutoEnginuity, makes a pretty good automotive diagnostic software package in several different grades. You can buy Domestic, Asian and some European or a combination of the 3. Ross Tech Vag Com is awesome software, but only covers VW and Audi. There's many other software vendors, but I'm not familiar with any of them.

Last edited by ernkazern; 07-22-2008 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:12 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Quote:
Different strokes for different folks I guess. I find the Genysis to be a decent scan tool for basic diagnostics on Domestic vehicles. But I can't believe how slow it is, almost to the point of being useless, on most European and Asian vehicles. It is relatively cheap and easy to use though. Also the Genysis makes a very good chock block so you're car won't roll away on a hill.
I find the Modis slower than the Genesys. Modis also has buttons that stick, the 1 I used tended to lock up. after a few reboots, the genesys wins out in speed big time
Old 07-23-2008, 05:30 AM

That's funny because my experience has been different. No scan tool is perfect, but my Genysis locks up way more than my Modis. My Modis is way faster on the Asian cars and easily as fast on the Domestic ones. In all fairness, I have the new 8.2 update in the Modis and I have a 2004 version of the Genysis. Btw, I used to love my Genysis and I fixed a lot of vehicles using it over the years. But I felt they just flat out cheated me when I bought the European and Asian softwares. They have an extremely slow PID update rate and are always locking up. Also we're kind of comparing apples to oranges with Modis vs Genysis. The Vantage Pro is the up to date Snap On scan tool. The Modis includes an ignition scope, 4 channel lab scope, and graphing meter, plus many other features you won't find in a standard Genysis. I've only owned a Modis about 3 months, but so far I'm impressed with it's capabilities.

Last edited by ernkazern; 07-23-2008 at 05:57 AM.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:58 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
That's funny because my experience has been different. No scan tool is perfect, but my Genysis locks up way more than my Modis. My Modis is way faster on the Asian cars and easily as fast on the Domestic ones. In all fairness, I have the new 8.2 update in the Modis and I have a 2004 version of the Genysis. Btw, I used to love my Genysis and I fixed a lot of vehicles using it over the years. But I felt they just flat out cheated me when I bought the European and Asian softwares. They have an extremely slow PID update rate and are always locking up. Also we're kind of comparing apples to oranges with Modis vs Genysis. The Vantage Pro is the up to date Snap On scan tool. The Modis includes an ignition scope, 4 channel lab scope, and graphing meter, plus many other features you won't find in a standard Genysis. I've only owned a Modis about 3 months, but so far I'm impressed with it's capabilities.
I understand your concern for the speed of the thing, but system 3.0 is much faster than what you've used. As for asian stuff, I've never used it. Here in very rural Midwest 99.9 percent of my business is 3/4 ton pickups most of which are diesels. Genisys also has a 4 chanel lab scope attachment and a gas anylizer. which can be bought seperately.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:09 AM

LOL, unfortunately I know too much about their lab scope that piggybacks onto the Genysis. It's easily the worst scope I ever used. I have 3 different lab scopes and I never use the Genysis scope. That was another OTC diagnostic tool that left me with a real bad taste in my mouth. Again, maybe they've improved, but you know how the saying goes.....fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. I doubt I'll ever go back to an OTC scan tool. Their scan tools work for some people and others hate them. Some people drive Fords and some people drive Chevy's.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.