Diagnostics question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2002, 12:09 PM
At a loss for words

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Diagnostics question

This really isn't related to hot rods, but since we have so many good mechanics in the club, I'd rather have your opinions than some kid behind a counter.
A quality code scanner really isn't in the budget at the moment. In the next year or two, I plan on buying a new car for the wife, and hopefully after that, I'll lay some money down for a good code scanner. What would be a good one to go with? I'm thinking that it needs to be able to read OBD-I and OBD-II.
Along those same lines, my 1995 Skylark has the OBD-I system, but I can't use the paper clip trick to retrieve the codes because of the type of computer that's in the car. I saw a cheap code reader at partsamerica.com that plugs into the ALDL and then blinks the codes out through the SES light (just like the paper clip trick that costs you $30! ) Would it even work for me, or is it a waste of my time?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2002, 05:33 AM

This is one thing I don't understand if they put a brain in your car why can't the car figure out how to fix itself.......
Old 03-03-2002, 03:39 PM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

keep in mind the main difference between a cheap scanner and a good one is a cheap one only gives codes period, a good scanner (mine's a Snap-On) gives you the codes, tells you what they are, and with their troubleshooter cartridge gives you diag. steps and even tech service bulletins. If you're not going to use it enough to spend a lot of money I would try to borrow someones. Get your hands on a Snap-On scanner and you'll be amazed what you can do. Also with a good scanner on most applications you can see exactly what the cars computer sees, voltage readings of sensors, long and short term fuel strategies, etc., all very important because you see things 'live' without disconnecting things and backprobing wires. On a newer vehicle without proper diagnostic information you could easily end up replacing more parts than needed. Like with everything in this world, you get what you pay for.

[ March 03, 2002: Message edited by: dmorris1200 ]</p>
Old 03-05-2002, 12:37 AM

True words and very well said- I agree with you dmorris 1200--"The BITTER TASTE of poor quaility remains long after the SWEET SMELL of low price is GONE !!"--Paulweldit
Old 03-05-2002, 05:10 AM
At a loss for words

I was actually looking at an Auto X-ray that I saw, I think, in a Northen Hydraulics catalog. It was around $400 but could scan OBD-I and OBD-II as well as imports, Chryslers, and Fords. I'm not really ready to drop money on anything right now, so I think I'll just take the car in to get looked at sometime. I'm thinking that there will probably be some form of new diagnostics system in cars and the scanner I buy will be obsolete right away!
I'll maybe check around and see what I can find out so that when I'm ready to buy, I can get the best one for the money. Thanks for the info though guys!!!
Old 03-05-2002, 02:54 PM

Last photo:

Hey guy, just wanted to mention in case you check back again. A lot of times you can get a deal on a used scanner. Check the papers and have someone in a shop check with local tool distributors. Sometimes a tech. getting out of the bussiness or just broke might be selling for a bargain. Sometimes tool distributors like Snap-On repo scanners from guys that don't pay their bills. It doesn't happen often but I've seen some good deals. Even an older quality scanner with updated software is like new. In the meantime try and find someone with one who doesn't mind showing you what it can do without costing anything. They can be fun. Good luck.
Old 03-07-2002, 06:18 PM

Thumbs up

If your going to pick up a used scanner , you can pick what you want on www.ebay.com
I just bought a used otc scanner on e-bay and got a good deal.
Old 03-08-2002, 03:06 AM

Last photo:

That's what makes this type of forum so great. E-Bay, great idea, you never know. Good day all!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.