diamond plate - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2005, 09:23 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The problem (at least with my 62 ) with using just aluminum diamond plate is that the original wood is 1/2" thick and the bed is designed for that thickness. The bolts that hold the bed down also hold the bed and fenders to the frame. I don't know how one would fashion 1/4" diamond plate to work. Plus wood is a more substantial surface than the diamond plate and acts like a bushing for the bolts.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2005, 09:31 PM

Last journal entry: as she sits now Sept 09
Last photo:

hey Milo... will try and post some pics soon.

I was told that i need to have some rubber strips between the aluminium and steel, any where the aluminium will contact the steel of the bed, fenders, supports, etc. An electrical corrosion process will occur and the steel will rust 10 times quicker. I see alot of Jeeps with aluminium diamond plate bolted on, but have never asked if this sped up the rust they were covering up. Any experience with this?
Old 12-31-2005, 01:24 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwstang
If ya'll don't mind my asking, what would the cost be for a piece of the aluminum diamondtread, shiny side up? My youngest son has a '56 chevy pickup we have restored and one of the last things to do is a bed kit or the diamondtread. The alum. sure won't rot like wood will! This is a daily driver so it's not a pampered garage queen and need something that will last! thanks...gary.
Well I can tell you this. I have a solid wood door on my shop. The outside was originally done in spar varnish but after years got weathered. I opted to cover the outside with aluminum diamond plate rather than refinish. The door is seven feet high and about 39 inches wide (nearly as I recall) I had a piece cut to fit and it scared the heck out of a hundred dollar bill. Looks cool though and I havent noticed any corrosion for going on three years now. AL
Old 12-31-2005, 01:29 AM

Last photo:

While we're on the subject, another cool thing you can do with diamond plate is powder coat it. I powder coated some anodize blue and was very happy with the results. AL
Old 12-31-2005, 02:07 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

did you say you were hauling a bike or wanting to? Alum. diamond plate and motorcycles, makes me think scratches and gouges, I focused on this because I am planning on using the same as a floor pan, wondering how I was going to like the scuff marks from shoes, . Saw 4x8 sheets 1/8 (.125) in Orlando Fla for $100.xx this will give you an idea of the expense.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:02 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

If I remember right, and it has been a while since I paid that much attention to a bed with a wooden floor, the boards are actually thicker than that. They are cut so the metal strips are recessed into the wood some. That keeps the intividual boards from shrinking and sliding under the metal strips. Although using something like pine, it wouldn't last long in the weather, there are some woods that are quite durable, specially when coated with polyurethane. The original wood in the beds did hold up quite well in the weather. They were not designed to be kept out of the rain. Actually they were sonething like 1X6 or 1X8 that were used so that if one piece got damaged badly, it could be replaced separately if needed.

Consider this. Boats have been made out of wood since the beginning. They are not built to be kept out of the rain/water. They just require good maintenance.

Aaron
Old 12-31-2005, 05:16 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Practical matter

Take a look at the roll back trucks used by the tow companies..those beds are made of welded aluminum..that is what your bed will look like in a couple of years if the truck is used as a truck..

Wood beds as a prcatical matter in a working truck are made of Oak as oak wears well and does not splinter up like some other woods will..

For a practical truck slide a piece of 1/2 ply into the bed and you will have some hope of saving the bed..

Comes down to do you want a show truck or one that works..

OMT
Old 12-31-2005, 09:53 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

All of the above posts are the reason that I said to use STEEL diamond plate.....It's not as pretty, but if you are going to use the truck, it's the way to go.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:04 AM

Last journal entry: as she sits now Sept 09
Last photo:

hey Poncho

That makes sense!! I was hoping for the shiny look but a powdercoated steel may look better for my application - Flat black and tough as hell. Question for a fellow canuck... working in the garage yesterday, -3 degrees with no heat. (had to keep moving.. lol) will I have trouble with epoxy primer curing?

thanks
Old 12-31-2005, 12:29 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezz-man
hey Poncho
Question for a fellow canuck... working in the garage yesterday, -3 degrees with no heat. (had to keep moving.. lol) will I have trouble with epoxy primer curing?

thanks
Yes....you will need some heat...at least 10c.........I primed my truck a few winters ago, and had it about 10c in there.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:51 PM

Last photo:

Hey everyone, thanks for the info on the diamond tread. I will show this to my son (18yrs old) and he can make a decision on what he wants to do. We are finished with the rest of the truck, so he needs to make a decision on a bed kit or this...thanks again, gary....glad my 66 mustang doesn't need any diamond tread...lol!

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.