Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Diamond Tufting?
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2010, 04:34 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Tufting an antique fainting couch?

I came upon this posting late, but I hope Dan still watches it because his description on the tufting process was excellent.

I'm wondering if the same technique used in car seats could be used on an antique oak fainting couch I have.

I've included pictures so folks can see what it is. It was tufted in leather, and the technique seems to have been done with folding.

They didn't have foam, so horse hair was used to stuff the folds and the buttons seem to go through a canvas covering that contains the springs for the couch.

I can follow most of what Dan says, but I'm wondering this.. Since most of the original leather covering is intact, could I simply remove it and make a template from it? What confuses me the most is how to actually work the tufts as "folds". When I look at the original, they are tight and deep. They almost look like they were sewn, but as the photo demonstrates, they were not. Is it only a function of the tightness of the buttons and the amount of fabric (in this case leather) and stuffing that determines this folding? How difficult is it when the material is leather?

I'm wondering if I'd be able to use the original covering, once opened up to my advantage -- somehow?

These questions are daunting. When I first bough the sofa I had in mind to try my luck at its restoration. Now however, I wonder if it's beyond my abilities.

If anyone is still reading this thread, any insight would be appreciated.

-thanks
Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	garageSale0005.JPG
Views:	409
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	45419   Click image for larger version

Name:	garageSale0011.JPG
Views:	302
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	45420   Click image for larger version