Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Diamond Tufting?
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2010, 02:13 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Diamond Tufting for the fainting couch ...

Thanks Dan, for your reply.

My question about using the original covering was centered around the notion that if somehow I were able to take it off (relatively undamaged), then spread it out flat, wouldn't I then have a complete template?

My thought was to get a modern piece of leather and mark it on the back with the locations of the holes using the original covering placed back to back.

Three issues arise when I think about this.

1) This thing is huge, 8' or 9' of leather lengthwise, 4 or 5' width wise, so i'm worried if I can get an appropriate skin that size, or if it would need to be sewn together first. Do you have any suggestions for good suppliers of leather that would work for this type of project? A large skin that folds easy, soft and subtle I imagine.

2) In your discussion you mention that a firm backing is necessary for the tufts to appear well formed. Since the original had buttons that went through a canvas covering, into the spring foundation, I wonder if I'd be better off creating my own padded top-piece, separate from the springs and work it as a separate piece, then attach it to the springs when finished. What type of material would be firm enough, yet still allow me to attach it to springs? Of course I don't know how involved it would be until I took it all apart.

3) I certainly don't want to ruin an expensive piece of leather, so yes I'd try this out with vynal or something similar first. Would you recommend using foam, as opposed to attempting to "stuff" using fibers and horse hair it, as the original seems to have done? What type of foam would be best for a couch like this?

Thanks so much for your help

-ray