Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Diamond Tufting?
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2010, 06:35 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Diamond Tufting for the fainting couch ...

Dan,

Wow, you've been really great in clearing some things up. We should call this a tutorial on Tufting 101!

I think I see what you mean about the mathematical relationship between the foam thickness and hole spacing.

The only thing I'm still a bit foggy about is when you said, "Where the buttons go through the leather would be larger than the holes in the foam and deck pad."

I don't follow why the hole sizes would be different?

I think you are trying to tell me something important here and I may be missing it. I'm thinking a hole is a hole? I mark the foam and leather with the hole spacing, then I punch a hole through it (a very thin hole) for the button and the tie down (perhaps using an awl?). Then when I place the leather over the foam, I poke a button through the hole and tie it through.

I think you said earlier not to pull these tight at first, but concentrate on folding the tufts and then work it across horizontally, tightening as you go?
Is that the general idea?

It sounds like a process that's learned as you go.

Do you have any recommendations on suppliers for foam, deck pad and leather hides? Probably buttons as well, since whatever hide I use will require leather buttons of the same material.

-thanks so much