Diamond tufting? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2008, 05:32 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Diamond tufting?

Hi,

I recently joined on here seeing some good advice on diamond tufting for seats. Here is my delimma. I have a customer that wants this done on the headliner of his 2008 dodge quad cab pickup. . . in Naugahyde. However, I can't find any foam that would be thick enough to really pull this off that comes more than 24" wide. I haven't removed the old headliner thinking that maybe I could leave it and add another layer of foam over it then the naugahyde. My fear is this would be to heavy and would fall plus the foam still wouldn't be thick enough to look like more than a piece of material with a bunch of buttons on it. The thickest foam I have found that would be wide enough and long enough is only a 1/4". Help?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2008, 07:00 PM

Last photo:

Tell the guy to forget it. WAY too heavy for practical use. Even if you got the thing to stay up. All it would take is someone to open a window at certain speeds and down it comes. Unless you have it anchored with lag bolts.

You can end bond the sheets of foam. To get larger pieces.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotmomma52204
Hi,

I recently joined on here seeing some good advice on diamond tufting for seats. Here is my delimma. I have a customer that wants this done on the headliner of his 2008 dodge quad cab pickup. . . in Naugahyde. However, I can't find any foam that would be thick enough to really pull this off that comes more than 24" wide. I haven't removed the old headliner thinking that maybe I could leave it and add another layer of foam over it then the naugahyde. My fear is this would be to heavy and would fall plus the foam still wouldn't be thick enough to look like more than a piece of material with a bunch of buttons on it. The thickest foam I have found that would be wide enough and long enough is only a 1/4". Help?
Then you don't have very good sources available to you for foam. I can get any thickness, any quality, any density, any width, any length from my supplier the next day. To pull this off, and make it look right, you need at least 1" foam in a higher density. 1 1/2" in a slightly softer density would be better. You only need a piece maybe 60" by 72". Tell me what you need in a PM, and I'll have it shipped directly to you. If you have access to 1" or 1 1/2" foam, you could edge-glue it together to make the size you need. Use# 22 buttons (about 1/2" in diameter). Threaded nails or prong buttons would be best. If you can't make these yourself, I can make them for you.

Use the original headliner, mark off the tufting pattern on that, drill 1/8" holes through the headliner, duplicate the pattern on the foam, cut 3/4" to 1" holes through the foam for each hole and tuft. It will never sag or come down, although you may need some extra attaching points for an overhead application. You won't need lag bolts or anything that heavy, the tufting will only add about 5 pounds to the headliner.

Apparently you never lived through the "Custom Van" craze. I did a van that was diamond tufted from one end to the other from halfway up the walls and all across the ceiling. About 500 buttons in a 5" by 7" pattern. My hands still hurt from that one!

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 10-09-2008 at 12:32 AM.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:10 PM

Well considering I'm 22 I'm pretty sure I missed the van craze. haha. But I will definetely keep you in mind on that foam. Thanks
Old 10-09-2008, 12:14 PM

As an afterthought, know of anywhere that I can get some material at least 60 inches wide? My supplier must be pretty limited cuz they can't get material any wider than 55 that isn't marine. That to me doesn't exactly say high quality. And also this particular headliner has some pretty deep grooves in it where the visors attach. Suggestions on getting wrinkles to dissapear besides heating? The hole seems to deep for that.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:59 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

If you're talking about vinyl 60" wide, I don't know of anybody that has it. The way to take care of the size problem is to cut the vinyl in two pieces whatever size you need in a zig zag pattern where it will be tufted, and sew it together. The tufting will hide the seam in its folds. I would not tuft the area where the visors go.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:17 AM

That sounds like a pretty good idea. Thanks for all your help. I'm just starting out in all this so I'm sure I'll be coming back for more advice sooner or later.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.