Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Diamond Tufting?
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007, 07:57 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Here's some pics of the tufting process. Explanation to follow. Now remember, I threw this together in about 45 minutes this morning, so don't expect much.
Low budget rodder: The way to do your specific seat is as follows: Determine how thick the foam padding needs to be to duplicate what's in the car now. Then you need to put the foam onto the seat and attach it so that you can take it back off without wrecking it. Once it's in the car, lay out the hole pattern you want and mark it on the foam. It is very important to do this on the seat in the car because if the seat curves backward or in any other direction, it can change the spacing of the buttons on the fabric. Cut out your holes in the foam. You can use either arch punches, or the longer silver "tool" is a piece of 3/4" electrical conduit that I ground an edge on. I like to put a layer of dacron polyester over the foam because it lets the fabric slip easier. This needs to have holes in it also. Here's where you start your trial and error. Mark diamonds on a piece of scrap fabric, and tuft a small section onto the foam. Once you have it the way you want it, take it back apart and measure the spacing side to side and top to bottom and use those dimensions to lay out the whole piece. There are two ways to terminate the tufting top, bottom, and sides. One way is to fold the fabric like I did, and lay it on top of the foam. The other way is to cut vertical and horizontal scoring lines in the foam from the top, bottom, and side button holes to the top, bottom and sides of the foam, and work the fabric into them. I used prong buttons to tuft this sample with, obviously without covering the button tops. Another option is threaded nails which attach by sliding a metal washer down the shaft until the button is tight. Another option is to use eye buttons and tie the buttns off with a mattress (figure 8) knot. The good news is that all your tufting can be done out of the car once you have fitted the foam to the seat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0288-1.JPG
Views:	834
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	22706   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0289-1.JPG
Views:	756
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	22707   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0290-1.JPG
Views:	705
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	22708   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0291-1.JPG
Views:	749
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	22709   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0292-1.JPG
Views:	842
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	22710  

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 07-12-2007 at 08:35 AM.