Diamont paint - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior> Paint
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2014, 09:17 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvyeqpmech View Post
Whats your opinion on BASF Diamont bc/cc paint?
Car is in body shop and went to paint supplier to
select color. Painter likes PPG and also uses
H of K. When talking to supplier he said he had been trying to get the painter to start using this paint. As luck would have it the color my wife likes is in the Diamont line. The supplier also sells PPG and H of K. The supplier also feels like it is as good any other brand he sells.
HK or Willys? What do you think? I am NOT a body person and need some sound advice.Thanks!
After painting for over 45 years, I have spent long terms with Dupont, PPG, and many other systems. R-M has been the most reliable system I have found. I guarantee my work for as long as you own it, so I am picky about dependability.

For the last 12-15 years I have used R-M production colors and DC92 clear. For custom work I use HOK and Xotic Colours, used along side the R-M products, with no issues. R-M gets my vote.

I recently had a minor issue with the clear, but changing my between-coat times has resolved it. I explored other products, and if I ever had to use another clear I will go SPI Universal Clear over the R-M production colors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2014, 09:21 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blonby View Post
What are you using now? Do you like diamont?
I'm thinking I should just suck it up and buy Glasurit
But ouch
I love Diamont!
Old 01-09-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonJay View Post
After painting for over 45 years, I have spent long terms with Dupont, PPG, and many other systems. R-M has been the most reliable system I have found. I guarantee my work for as long as you own it, so I am picky about dependability.

For the last 12-15 years I have used R-M production colors and DC92 clear. For custom work I use HOK and Xotic Colours, used along side the R-M products, with no issues. R-M gets my vote.

I recently had a minor issue with the clear, but changing my between-coat times has resolved it. I explored other products, and if I ever had to use another clear I will go SPI Universal Clear over the R-M production colors.

So here's my question And here's what I need the paint code is GY15P it's called samba green pearl or fiesta green pearl it's a stock color off a 90-93 honda del soul.
The color is transparent. So if you would just tell me how you would paint this 1970 nova it would be great.
I'm new to this who is rm? So would you buy rm base and everything else from spi
Old 01-09-2014, 10:13 AM

Last photo:

You will need a colored basecoat or sealer under your pearl, so you can't see your primer. It also gives you an even color, since the underlying color is even too. Make that color close to the green color, but not too light. Talk to your paint store for advise on the shade.

I have not used SPI products yet, but have heard nothing but great reviews.

I believe R-M is "Rinshed and Mason" If memory serves me.... they were the first paint supplier for Cadillac about 1920??? ....SO THEY ARE VERY EXPERIENCED! :-) They are now part of the BASF paint empire, and as far as I know, their top line of paint.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonJay View Post
You will need a colored bassealer under your pearl, so you can't see your primer. It also gives you an even color, since the underlying color is even too. Make that color close to the green color, but not too light. Talk to your paint store for advise on the shade.

I have not used SPI products yet, but have heard nothing but great reviews.

I believe R-M is "Rinshed and Mason" If memory serves me.... they were the first paint supplier for Cadillac about 1920??? ....SO THEY ARE VERY EXPERIENCED! :-) They are now part of the BASF paint empire, and as far as I know, their top line of paint.
OUCH......1520.00 for paint and materials who knows a diamont rep I need a discount lol
Old 01-09-2014, 09:59 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

First off, the SPI products are the best I have ever used hands down, their prices are reasonable and customer service are second to none. As for base, you will likely get several different answers for different people. I have had good results from PPG Deltron, Standox, and R-M for base colors. I have not had the chance to use any, but I have heard good things about Pro-Spray and Wanda base coats as well. As already stated, I would also recommend using a sealer prior to base to get even coverage. I don't know if they still offer it or not, but R-M used to mix sealer in a color close to the base color to help with coverage on the highly transparent colors. If that's no longer an option, I would probably use a gray sealer or possibly black depending on if you want the paint a little lighter or darker when finished. For primer, sealer, clears, reducers, and cleaners I highly recommend SPI. I recommend their base coats too if you need one of the colors they offer. I used to use PPG 2021 and 2002 clear coats and switched to SPI, never looked back.

Kelly
Old 01-09-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacustoms View Post
First off, the SPI products are the best I have ever used hands down, their prices are reasonable and customer service are second to none. As for base, you will likely get several different answers for different people. I have had good results from PPG Deltron, Standox, and R-M for base colors. I have not had the chance to use any, but I have heard good things about Pro-Spray and Wanda base coats as well. As already stated, I would also recommend using a sealer prior to base to get even coverage. I don't know if they still offer it or not, but R-M used to mix sealer in a color close to the base color to help with coverage on the highly transparent colors. If that's no longer an option, I would probably use a gray sealer or possibly black depending on if you want the paint a little lighter or darker when finished. For primer, sealer, clears, reducers, and cleaners I highly recommend SPI. I recommend their base coats too if you need one of the colors they offer. I used to use PPG 2021 and 2002 clear coats and switched to SPI, never looked back.

Kelly

So Kelly just buy the base only from diamont and buy everything else from SPI ?
Mixing product will not matter?
Old 01-09-2014, 10:21 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

Quote:
So Kelly just buy the base only from diamont and buy everything else from SPI ?
Mixing product will not matter?

That's what I would do. Mixing brands for different products (IE: SPI primer, SPI sealer, Diamont base, SPI clear) is not a problem. The problems start when you use different brands in the same product (IE: Diamont activator in PPG base, etc). Get diamont base, diamont reducer for the base, and diamont activator for the base. I use SPI primer, sealer and clear with either Standox or PPG Deltron base and have not had any problems with adhesion or longevity. Be sure you allow proper flash and dry times between coats and products. If it would make you feel better you can call Barry at SPI to ask and get his opinion of using his products with the Diamont base.

Contact Us

Kelly
Old 01-13-2014, 12:46 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
OUCH......1520.00 for paint and materials who knows a diamont rep I need a discount lol
From the bottom to top... primer to final clear... I usually spend $2000-$3000 on materials for a complete job.

You get what you pay for! If you are selling the car, use cheap paint. It may look okay for 3-5 years. If you want it to look good for 20 to 30 years, use the good stuff. I don't know about you, but I only want to do things ONCE.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:23 PM

Wow, this thread was started over 10 years ago. Heard nothing but good about SPI, but have not used it. I am having excellent results from Wanda.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33Willys77 View Post
Wow, this thread was started over 10 years ago. Heard nothing but good about SPI, but have not used it. I am having excellent results from Wanda.
Who's Wanda lol
Old 01-13-2014, 04:28 PM

Wanda Refinish – Automotive Paint Supplies
Old 01-13-2014, 05:55 PM

do not be afraid of anything that SPI makes. I am not a pro but have done some spraying and SPI is tops.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderless 33 View Post
do not be afraid of anything that SPI makes. I am not a pro but have done some spraying and SPI is tops.
What product did you use From spi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.