Diamont paint - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior> Paint
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2003, 01:36 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Diamont paint

Whats your opinion on BASF Diamont bc/cc paint?
Car is in body shop and went to paint supplier to
select color. Painter likes PPG and also uses
H of K. When talking to supplier he said he had been trying to get the painter to start using this paint. As luck would have it the color my wife likes is in the Diamont line. The supplier also sells PPG and H of K. The supplier also feels like it is as good any other brand he sells.
HK or Willys? What do you think? I am NOT a body person and need some sound advice.Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2003, 03:14 AM
Pontiac Knowledge Base Editor

Last photo:

Diamont is top notch. I'm suprised that the paint supplier can sell it to you. It use to be that you had to be certified to spray it. They back it for 7 years. I would check into that. If anyone can spray it now it makes me wonder if it's still as good as it was.
Old 02-06-2003, 03:49 AM

It's been a loooooooooooong time since I did any painting. I did have my favorites and some I didn't care for. Not because of the product itself,just had some paints that worked better for me. If your painter is not comfortable with a different paint,please respect them for his/her honesty. If you insist on using your choice,you should either prepare for the possibility of some errors with the current painter,or change painters. Auto refinishing is a craft. The refinishers income and reputation depends on the finished product.
Old 02-06-2003, 05:03 AM
Pontiac Knowledge Base Editor

Last photo:

Well put Bukweet.
I thought I was the only one who refused work because I thought it would look bad and make me look bad.
The lattest was a Honda the guy wanted to glow in the dark with green. No Thanks!!! I'm not signing my name to that. Sounds a little harsh I know but it's my rep. on the line. How would I live that down? I dont even want to take the chance.
I'm sure Boyd would agree.
Old 02-06-2003, 03:06 PM

Diamont is made by BASF I had a Diamont mixing system for three years at work and it worked very good .But I have to agree with the others let your painter use what he's used to.Most good paint is comparable in quality but each sprays a little different.Also ppg should be able cross refrence a basf number for you.Good luck
Old 02-06-2003, 03:09 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

I am spraying Diamont paint on my 36 Pu right now. I certainly like the way it handles, but I'm really a novice. The fine print on the labels says "for professional use only" but the supplier still sells it to me. I do have the proper safety equipment cause i am very familiar with all the hazards of the modern day, ecology safe crap that is being rammed down our throats (and lungs).

Trees
Old 02-09-2003, 11:58 AM

paint stores in my area will sell to almost anyone.
Old 10-02-2003, 03:08 PM

Hi, I am new to this forum..
I have been building and painting cars since around 96 , I have been spraying with diamont in my shop since around 97 .. I have used glasurit and diamont both. As well as valspar , house of colors , senoir Martin, ppg, and a few more , that I just don't feel the need of naming.
Other than glasurit being a bit more expensive its about as good as it gets, for its practical purposes.
Diamont is equal in my opinion. I painted my sisters 92 buick regal in 99 , it was painted with the Diamont extreme series paint wich is a bc/cc application.. none the less its exceptional ...It cuts and polishes , and can handle the sunlight.
This car is unprotected and sits in the sun all day long .. minus the dents and dings it has recieved over the years, it still looks like a beautiful rainbow with a mirror like finish.
I give the paint a 10 out 10 on quality.
I have cars in my shop right at the moment awaiting their coat of Diamont bc/cc... I like diamont because it is very easy to work with even for novice painters. Unlike the other brands of paint you just add reducer to the basecoat , and reducer and catylist to the clear (I use DC92)And 46 hardner or 42 depending on the time of the year. It lays out like glass. The Main thing is the simplicity, you can nib trash out and final wipe the base coat with out distortion.
PPg , well I don't like the Idea of having to add stabilizer and catylast to my base coat.. No pun intended to the ppg fans ..
But diamont is worth the money hands down and I would recomend it to anybody wanting a supperb finish on their car.
All in all practicallity , you would need to follow the guidelines recomended by basf, It helps to not mix and match allthough , I do the deeds, of tricks of the trade. I can afford errors on my personal cars to find out and experiment. Its best still, to follow the paint companies recomended proceedures on application. The paint can only do what the painter will allow it to do,and it will NOT substitute for human error.
Hope this can help.
regards
Devon
Old 10-02-2003, 09:53 PM

Last photo:

Diamont paint

Hey Heavy,
I've been a bodyman/painter for 30 years and have to agree with some of the others .I have painted with just about all the paints mentioned ,and they all have their own advantages and disadvantages ,I too would let the painter use what he's familiar with .If you ask 10 different painters what they would use ,you'ld get probably 10 different answers .As long as you stay with name brand paints just about anything you use is going to be fine .
As for "professional use only", the paint makers are just trying to save their own behinds in case some one gets ill from it !I also strongly advise to use a brand line AND STICK WITH IT !!! Almost all paint manufacturers will not warranty ANY paint problems if you inter-mix products , from primers ,through clear coats .
And yes---they have chemists that can tell if you did ,or not , and they won't warranty ANYTHING without a paint sample from your car ! Also ,the last 3 shops I have worked for won't paint anything that we don't prep from the bare metal out (trying to save our OWN behinds ) we don't want OUR name & reputation on someone elses work!
Just my $.02 worth .Good Luck---Rick
Old 10-03-2003, 10:56 AM

Thanks for all the feed back. The car has been painted for about 7 months now and looks great. I should have reported earlier the paint was done. Sorry for that. Just have one problem to fix with a flame job. Will post on that later-long story and time to go to work!
Old 10-29-2003, 07:04 PM

Thumbs up Diamont paints

Quote:
Originally posted by CustomChrome
Diamont is top notch. I'm suprised that the paint supplier can sell it to you. It use to be that you had to be certified to spray it. They back it for 7 years. I would check into that. If anyone can spray it now it makes me wonder if it's still as good as it was.
Diamont is still as good as it was. It says on the can for professional use only. You have to refer to manufacturer for product usage as far as mixing ratios goes. The is no literature for the average consumer user.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:30 PM

I was at the auto body shop today to ask about getting some left over paint and saw that he used Diamont paint. Remembering this thread I asked why a shop would not want to use it.
He told me it was a cost issue for the most part, his shop has everything they need to use that paint and they buy it in bulk. So all he has to do is go to the paint store for the color.

If I went in and wanted to use say PPG then he would have to use a different primer, reducer yada yada and he would also have to adjust his guns. All that adds to time and money because he does not get the same price break in smaller quantities and everything he has is set up or geared towards the paints he uses.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:24 PM

Can anyone tell me what thier thoughts are in regards to using sherwin williams line of paint?
Has anyone ever used a business called "SPI" ?
From what I gather you can buy everything but base from them and get a great savings.
Here is where I am... As a novice and recently going to
School to learn if I can even spray I have learned as already mentioned every painter has a product they like to use. Very rarely have i spoke with a painter that said I like all of the lines. Another thing I have heard is this is not the place in your build to squirm by and try and save money. Buy good paint and good clear I'm thinking diamont myself
Old 01-09-2014, 09:08 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blonby View Post
Can anyone tell me what thier thoughts are in regards to using sherwin williams line of paint?
Has anyone ever used a business called "SPI" ?
From what I gather you can buy everything but base from them and get a great savings.
Here is where I am... As a novice and recently going to
School to learn if I can even spray I have learned as already mentioned every painter has a product they like to use. Very rarely have i spoke with a painter that said I like all of the lines. Another thing I have heard is this is not the place in your build to squirm by and try and save money. Buy good paint and good clear I'm thinking diamont myself
S-W is BASF's second line of paint. Obviously cheaper than R-M. I stopped using it because it did not stand up to the Arizona sun. Compared to my normal system, it didn't take long to start losing gloss, and fading slightly.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonJay View Post
S-W is BASF's second line of paint. Obviously cheaper than R-M. I stopped using it because it did not stand up to the Arizona sun. Compared to my normal system, it didn't take long to start losing gloss, and fading slightly.
What are you using now? Do you like diamont?
I'm thinking I should just suck it up and buy Glasurit
But ouch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.