Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Did I buy a P.O.S. Compressor?
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2005, 08:20 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

GEAR--Please don't get p!$$ed off at me for harping more about compressors it's just that I have spent a lifetime working with welders and compressors and I have built and installed many shop and mobile air systems, It is part of what I do. Your post is a good example of what I have been trying to get across about selecting a compressor and that is that tank size and HP tell next to nothing about a compressors performance. You stated that you wanted a 60 gallon 5 hP unit but what CFM? If a compressor is only putting out 8 CFM that is all you are going to get period, not matter what size tank and HP. Tank size means quite a bit with compressor life and to a lesser extent power consumption but almost nothing to performance. If the compressor pump is being driven at it's rated RPM then the air output will be the same no matter if it is driven by 3 HP or 10. Here is a really good guide by an HONEST manufacturer especially the parts about HP and tank size. www.toolnewz.com/102000/compressor_howtobuy.html

Last edited by oldred; 02-05-2005 at 08:27 AM.