Did I get ripped on this trade....... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2008, 08:13 PM
I need a bucket of arc sparks

Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Did I get ripped on this trade.......

I traded my 73 Mustang Fastback for a 1994 GT Mustang with a 5.0 and a five speed transmission. My 73 Mustang needed a total restoration, engine and trans rebuild, brakes rebuilt, paint job and the interior redone. The 94 is a driver, but it too has it problems, it needs a clutch, the brakes need fixed, it needs a windshield a new ac condenser and the driver seat needs to be redone with a new track installed. The 94 also needs a paint job and needs the front radiator support and the front inner fender aprons replaced. The car was totaled out at one time but was fixed and put back on the road. The 94 also had two rims jacked up, somebody curb checked it hard plus it had the worlds most tacky shifter handle and door locks. Since I have traded for this car, I have installed new rims, a new shifter handle and door locks. Did I get ripped off or not???? The pictures are of the 94 GT Mustang and the cobra shifter handle and matching door locks are the ones I replaced.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cobra shifter handle.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	31463   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mustang  side.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	31464   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mustang front end.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	31465   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mustang rear view.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	31466   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mustang side view.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	31467  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2008, 08:51 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I don,t think so,I like the 94,s.Besides don,t look back,look ahead.You have a car that you can drive and work on along the way.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:31 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

This is a good question.

The 94 will give you better fuel mileage, then the 73, and it is drivable right now. On this same thought, driving a newer smaller car yet would get you better fuel mileage, allowing you to save some money, as time allowed, to do a frame off restoration, on the 73, and sell it auction. Done right, it would bring way more than the 94 redone. Aftermarket, new replacement parts are available "cheap" for the 73.

So, if you have the time, space, money, and ability, to get the 73 done right, this may not have been a good decision. JMO
Old 07-28-2008, 08:19 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:

THe 94 looks relatively solid, and you have a 302 you can work with which is nice. Brakes are pretty much a given for older cars, as is the clutch. You could do the AC next year and toss in the windshield now. Weekend worth of work and you have a car that's pretty much 100%.

K
Old 07-28-2008, 08:35 AM

Last journal entry: Free tires
Last photo:

Down the road the 73 would be worth more but it sounds like it had a long way to go to get there.

I have made money by doing the grunt labor work and selling a project before getting into the expensive finishing work, so I think you did ok dollar wise.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:16 AM

Last photo:

Its a done deal aready by a month, I have been driving the 94 for two weeks already. It is just every time I turn around I find something else wrong with the car. When I had the rims put on last Tuesday, I bought them from Ford and they said they would mount and balance the tires for $40. I said ok, well I will be in there a hour at tops, not so. When they took off the old rims, two wheel studs on the drivers front were stripped out and 3 studs on the passengers side were bad. I said ok how much to change them out, Ford said they would do it just for the price of the studs. When they had to remove the brake calipers, they couldn't get the drivers side off because somebody in the past stripped out the torx bit caliper bolts by trying to use a allen wrench on them. So once they got them off, they showed me the brake pads which were shot and the rotors were grooved. It was just suppose to be a wheel and tire change but everything snowballed on me. So I had everything fixed except the brakes, didn't have enough money. Another example is when I was looking under the hood at the AC to see why it wasn't working. Well I found out what was wrong with it, the line going from the condenser to the evaporator was broke in two. You might be wondering how did this happen.....well the idiot who installed the aftermarket airfilter kit pushed down on the line to make the filter fit. When he did this it broke the aluminum line right in two, what a idiot. It just seems like there is a bunch of nickle and dime things wrong with the car. I know the 73 Fastback is worth a lot more money, but it would easliy take seven to eight thousand dollars to get it fairly descent. I also don't have a garage anymore since my wife told me to get out of the house. I also don't have the the time or energy to restore a car while going through a divorce. I just was wondering if I got ripped off on this deal.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:46 AM

Last journal entry: Free tires
Last photo:

A 94 is almost a 15 year old car, lots of stuff goes bad, previous owners messed with it and parts are just plain worn out in 15 years.
I couldn't imagine buying a 1973 Mustang in 1988 and not expecting all the same gremlins you're finding now in the 94.

Considering the move out, divorce, and other issues you probably have going on with that I wouldn't fret about the car. If it gets to bad fixing to many things then sell it and find something else. It's just a car.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:17 PM

Last journal entry: time flies
Last photo:

what you didn't mention is that the 94 is a cobra not just a regular mustang and that ups its value. your old car maybe worth more when its redone but its going to cost an arm and leg it restore it.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:13 PM

Last photo:

[QUOTE=428ho]A 94 is almost a 15 year old car, lots of stuff goes bad, previous owners messed with it and parts are just plain worn out in 15 years.
I couldn't imagine buying a 1973 Mustang in 1988 and not expecting all the same gremlins you're finding now in the 94.

Your right about this, I should expect some things to be wrong and quit my complaining about the problems the 94 Mustang has. At least it runs and drives and does not need an major restoration.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:01 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

[QUOTE=onebadmerc]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 428ho

Your right about this, I should expect some things to be wrong and quit my complaining about the problems the 94 Mustang has. At least it runs and drives and does not need an major restoration.

Yep, just be thankful you aren't driving something mid 90's or newer from GM. You can't dig a hole deep enough to bury it. Trust me, I've tried....

In a while, Chet.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:12 PM

Probably a bad deal

If your goal was to have a car you could drive right now then I guess you got that with a few problems as expected. I personally think that $8000 dollars to restore your 73 would have been a much better investment, but without a garage I can understand the problem, Hopefully the new one will shape up soon and stop giving you problems.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:54 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymer
If your goal was to have a car you could drive right now then I guess you got that with a few problems as expected. I personally think that $8000 dollars to restore your 73 would have been a much better investment, but without a garage I can understand the problem, Hopefully the new one will shape up soon and stop giving you problems.
I agree totally

Knowing now about the personal problems, it becomes logical this exchange was a great idea.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.