Did I install my Anti clunk spring and Overrun Band right? (T-350) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2006, 07:10 PM
72 Nova, 65 Rambler, 37 Chevy

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Did I install my Anti clunk spring and Overrun Band right? (T-350)

I couldn't find any pics...even in my book and the descriptions on how to install them kinda confused me....So I posted some pics....I couldn't figure out how to blow them up so its hard to see and keep to the size limit, but i think the resolution is high so..., could someone be a pal and save my pics and zoom in and tell me if it looks right??

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Overrun band 3.JPG
Views:	1307
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	12621   Click image for larger version

Name:	anti-clunker 3.JPG
Views:	1462
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	12622  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2006, 09:06 PM

Last photo:

Band is fine but the retaining ring for the low support needs to not be on top of the anti-clunk spring.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:15 PM

Last photo:

Well Shoot, the closest thing I could find on the net for the anti clunk spring was this from car craft article http://www.carcraft.com/projectbuild/116_9508_tran/ #11:

"Position one end of the low overrun clutch assembly snap-ring retainer with its end against the anti-clunk spring (arrow), then begin to push the rest of the snap ring down, radiating outward until you get to the other end. If pushed down properly, the ring should snap into place and remain locked in position."

See the attached pic...I thought I installed it just like they did? Now Im more confused lol are they wrong too?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Car Craft clunker.jpg
Views:	1316
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	12624  
Old 06-05-2006, 09:37 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrant
See the attached pic...I thought I installed it just like they did? Now Im more confused lol are they wrong too?
I have never installed the snap ring as in the picture.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:49 PM

Last photo:

Can it hurt the transmission or impair the function of the spring with the ring installed like that?
Old 06-05-2006, 11:14 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I'll throw in my 2 cents.

Based on the 350 book by Ron Sessions and my ATSG manual for the 700r4, the snap ring does not contact the curved end of the clunk spring. In your original picture, according to both books, the end of the snap ring would be rotated about 1/2" clockwise so the right end of the snap ring is farther back away from the spring.

To your original queston? I dunno if it will hurt/hinder the action of the spring. About all I could see happening is the clunk spring pushing the snap ring around a tad.

Maybe someone else will give a more detailed answer/opinion.

On the band question, I had some problems getting the servo pin to engage the band on my 350. The problem ended up being that the trans was laying on the bench and everything had shifted some. I finally stood the trans up on end and everything settled back to center and the servo pin then properly engaged the indent in the band. Just a thought.

Mark

Last edited by Jmark; 06-05-2006 at 11:21 PM.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:00 PM

Last photo:

Not to bicker or anything or w/e but according to my Ron Sessions Turbo Hydra-Matic 350 Handbook on page 199 it states: "Now, install the large, flat low/reverse-support assembly-to-case retaining ring. Work it into place with a small screwdriver. Position the retaining ring so it holds the anti-clunk spring in place."

I think I'll just leave it, whats the worst that could happen? Like you have said...I would think it would just slide the ring around to a point.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:42 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrant
Not to bicker or anything or w/e but according to my Ron Sessions Turbo Hydra-Matic 350 Handbook on page 199 it states: "Now, install the large, flat low/reverse-support assembly-to-case retaining ring. Work it into place with a small screwdriver. Position the retaining ring so it holds the anti-clunk spring in place."

I think I'll just leave it, whats the worst that could happen? Like you have said...I would think it would just slide the ring around to a point.
you asked opinions...... if you are age 16 as your profile indicates, I've built trannys for 2 of your life times.

you asked for opinions , you got them.

enjoy the tranny when you get it working.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.