did i make a mistake? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2004, 11:36 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

did i make a mistake?

i made a trade last week of my 1962 Caddy sedan deville for a 1964 1/2 mustang.

specs:

caddy: 390 rebuilt about 15 years ago, recent head job, new front seat covers, rebuilt trans, rebuilt drive shaft, all new brakes, new tires, fresh full tune up, rebuilt radiator, new hoses - belts.

caddy needs: had bad rust around windows and trim, but a very straight body, carpet, dash pad, 2 window motors, ac and heater need work, and it needed a carb.

mustang specs: 170 straight 6 (rebuilt), 3 speed, fresh tune up, new carb, new interior but head liner not installed, new front bumper and grill, new gas tank, new but abused trunk liner, new air shocks, new floor pans but the dumb ***** did the wurst job ever seen by man, and a new M/C.

mustang needs: needs a new under dash wiring harness (you should see the mess), break switch, rear bumper, paint job (might be able to make it look better), hard rear brake line and fuel line, front U- joints, heater core, 2 tires, wheel cyl, wiper switch, glove box cardboard, and the dash needs to be painted.

the reason for the trade was that i had, had the caddy on the market for ever at $3,000 and couldn't get a bite. and for a great running car that basically just needed cosmetic work, i didn't think that, that was that bad of a price.
well, this brotha' called me up and said that he would like to trade for his mustang, so i went and drove it (at night like a *********) and didn't check it over all that well. so we traded (me thinking that i could get rid of a stang quicker) and then i get to looking at the ***** craftsman work on this car and i'm about to die.
the car had a fire and burnt up the wiring so he "made" a wiring harness for it. J/C if you can't do it, DON'T.
anywho, most of the stuff i've already fixed and now its to the junk yards for a harness.

oh yeah the reason for selling in the first place is because i Have to have $$$ right now for a lawyer. damn cops.

so how bad did i screw up? please tell.

Aaron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2004, 01:17 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

I don't think you screwed up. At least in these parts, Mustangs pring a pretty big price. I seen just shells go for around 2 grand and that is with rust.

Kevin
Old 03-03-2004, 04:43 AM
Old Salt

Last photo:

What does your heart and gut tell ya?

No matter what anyone says, you already completed the deal.
Now, take and make the best of it. Redo the wiring and make that Mustang a car you'll hate to sell.

Good going, you made a decision, I applaud you for that right off!

Dutch
Old 03-03-2004, 04:58 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

No mistake. Mustangs sell, Caddys don't.

Centerline
Old 03-03-2004, 05:25 AM

Last journal entry: 2 years later
Last photo:

sounds like my vette. it all looked good till i started looking at it.lol.mike
Old 03-03-2004, 06:28 AM
A Half Crippled Old SOB....

Last wiki edit: GM RPO build codes Last photo:
Location: Cahokia,IL..... Donate Blood Products & Sign your DONORS CARD
Wiki Edits: 5

the mustang is the 1st yr they were made & not many at that, in my opinion you screwed the other guy. at least ya didnt do what a friend of mine did yrs ago. he was into mustangs heavy, he got a early coupe but did know what yr it was untill he had stripped it & had already sent the body to the shredder.............
it was a 64 1/2 mustang, man was he sick cause it was a V8/4spd car........joe

Last edited by TooMany2count; 03-03-2004 at 06:49 AM.
Old 03-03-2004, 06:39 AM
Tire Fryer

Last photo:

If the floors were rusted then chances are the Torque boxes are shot too. And if he did a lousy job on the floors then he did a lousy job on the boxes. Not good. They are a major support piece and a real PITA to do, according to my brother in law. I hope those are ok man.

If you really need the cash, then I would clean it up, paint the dash etc and sell it. You might luck out and get someone that will buy it quick.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:53 AM

Last photo:

CHECK THE #'S!!!!

If it's a numbers matching car, original eng, trans, etc, it might be worth more to a collector than a hotrodder. If it is all original, I wouldn't get a harness yet. If the car has potential to be a show car, you might end up making more work for the next guy who will want to make it concourse (factory condition).

On the other hand, if it's a frankenstein car with a different engine/trans, you might as well make it as pretty as possible and find a collector. TooMany2Count is right, 64 1/2 is the FIRST year they made the mustang. That's got to be worth something to someone.

I got my '69 coupe for $700 running on a transplanted 6 and C4. I had a guy offer me $1500 at a junkyard when I was shopping for my engine. One of my friends offered me $2000 for it with the 351W when I get it running. Of course, I have about $2100 invested in it total now, so anything less and I'd be shooting myself in the foot. But they do open wallets of the buyers if they have potential.

If the frame is straight, and rust is contained to the floorboards and rear torque boxes (typical mustang rust), it's still pretty valuable. Yea I think you came out on top.

MoocH
Old 03-03-2004, 10:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by 6567GTO
If the floors were rusted then chances are the Torque boxes are shot too. And if he did a lousy job on the floors then he did a lousy job on the boxes. Not good. They are a major support piece and a real PITA to do, according to my brother in law. I hope those are ok man.
i'm not positive what "torque boxes"are, but if they are what i'm thinking, there is some 1/4" plate welded in their place.

anywho, i was looking for wiring harnesses today, and found the one that goes from the firewall to the engine for $30 at Dallas Mustang, picked it up. but the one for the underdash is $650, sooooooo i pulled it out and am having to fix it (big big mess) but it shouldn't be to big of a deal.
i'll post some pics as soon as i get some batteries for the cam .
Old 03-03-2004, 11:41 PM

Last photo:

daym akm.. i wish i had a stang like that..

i think u did a good deal..

Nos
Old 03-04-2004, 07:41 AM
A Half Crippled Old SOB....

Last wiki edit: GM RPO build codes Last photo:
Location: Cahokia,IL..... Donate Blood Products & Sign your DONORS CARD
Wiki Edits: 5

i have a chilton wiring harness book. now it only goes to 63 but it may help ya. if ya want me to copy the pages for ya & mail them to ya I will, just let me know.......joe
Old 03-04-2004, 07:57 AM
Are we having fun yet?

Last photo:

Hey Aaron pick up the shop manual for that year. I got one when I was building my 67. The best $35.00 I have ever spent and the tool that you need most.

Norm.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:40 PM

Last photo:

bud-23's stang is exactly how i would envidion one id wasnt..

Maybe thats why his stangs on my desktop?..

Nos
Old 03-04-2004, 08:29 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by TooMany2count
i have a chilton wiring harness book. now it only goes to 63 but it may help ya. if ya want me to copy the pages for ya & mail them to ya I will, just let me know.......joe
thanks but i think that i may have the same one.
i have the diagrams for the car, but the problem is that some of the wiring is from the 64 and some from a 65 or 66. both are much different from one another.
today i spent the better part of the day trying to figure it out, only to come out worst than before. i'm going tomorrow to get the manual for the 64-73, and if that doesn't work than i going to switch it over to 65 wiring all together (much cheaper).

wish me luck, thanks again, Aaron
Old 03-04-2004, 09:32 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

good luck my brotha'

any time you swap gm to ford, you do good.

just so happens, that 289 i got, it's never been bored.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.