Hot Rod Forum banner

Did I murder my Muncie

913 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  BOBCRMAN@aol.com 
#1 ·
Okay, a few weeks back, I had my u-joints fail and I lost my driveshaft, ruining the rear seal. Nobody mentioned to me that the rear seal and rear bushing would prolly be bad. I noticed a leak and presumed that to be the problem. It was a slow leak so I took my time getting to the garage. I did not notice any real bad sounds, but I did drive it a week or so on progressively lower and lower gear oil. So my question is, did I permanetly damage my transmission?

Also, it is a 1977 Camaro with an M21 Muncie out of an old firebird. It was converted from an automatic.

#2 ·
first indication of damage will be noise, does it sound o.k.?, or does it growl or whine? real low lube and you start welding up rotating gears, I have one now that I've been trying to get the welded second gear off of, 20 ton press won't touch it! cut off wheel is next.

#3 ·
The tranny has ALWAYS been noisy since we bought it earlier this year. There is some whine, mostly in 2nd which I've heard can mean that the gear for that gear is damaged. I do not expect the tranny to last more than a few years. So I guess when I get it running again I will listen and see if it is any more noisy. Hopefully it will last until I can afford replacement parts or tranny.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.