Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Did I overheat my engine?
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2008, 01:17 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

oops....

Well i guess i forgot to mention everything. After I pulled over, I let it sit till it got to about 210. Once it got there, I had some water in the back of my truck that was in the sun so it was luke warm at least. I put that water in the radiator which was half full of water/coolant still. I still let it sit till it got to 180, started it back up and it seemed fine. The stupid part was I still drove it home.
Its a 63 chevy c10 with a 454 that was built about 5 years ago, but only has about 1000 miles on it. Everything was brand new when built. The radiator is about 3 years old, and its a universal summit radiator. I have a feeling though its just not big enough for a big block. I takes forever to warm up to 180 but once it gets to 180 then if im to sit at a stop light, it will jump to 200 real fast. The hoses seem fine as they are new as well and the fan is an electric fan with no shroud.

I was sitting in traffic for maybe 10-15 mins when it hit 260 and it was at 180 crusing before that. Unfortunatly too, the heads are aluminum but the block is an iron block. I didnt check the oil but I will do that asap.

thanx guys for all the responses.
david